Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Your role will include archaeological survey, testing, evaluation, data recovery, and construction monitoring, as well as other tasks as assigned. You will do shovel testing, test unit excavation, soil profile description, artifact analyses, preparation of detailed field notes and archaeological site records. You must be able and willing to work outdoors in remote locations and for extended periods under all weather conditions, often traversing rugged terrain. Must demonstrate awareness for workplace safety; and be willing to work independently when conditions are appropriate or with limited supervision. You will work closely with Stantec's project managers, laboratory resources and environmental staff.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage tasks and projects according to approved scopes of work, and deliver quality reports on schedule and within budget
- You may also be responsible for management and supervision of archaeological projects, including survey, site evaluation, and site mitigation.
- Contribute to and lead business development activities, including proposals, pre-qualifications, and relationship building with clients and prospective clients
- Interact and interface with clients and environmental regulators - Contract document preparation, including detailed design drawings and specifications, and project permitting
- Construction contract administration and site inspection services
- Participate in Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work
- Assists in analyzing current and emerging technical issues, and implementing actions to proactively address market, business, regulatory, and/or economic issues.
- Assignments/projects are advanced in nature and require the application of mature knowledge.
- Responsible for planning and conducting assignments/ projects having broad scope for independent accomplishment and coordination of difficult tasks.
- Recommendations are reviewed for soundness of judgment; accepted as accurate and feasible.
- Provide supervision, training, technical direction and mentoring to more junior staff
- Review work of junior staff.
- Applies technical and business knowledge and methods to develop creative, effective, and economical solutions to address current and potential project issues.
- Executes specific technical tasks or requirements for medium to large projects.
- Conduct peer reviews of routine and moderately complex work by colleagues or more junior practitioners.
- Qualifies as a Quality Reviewer and undertakes Quality Reviews of moderate to large deliverables.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient in and consistently demonstrates and promotes policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training (if applicable).
- Strong skills in technical writing.
- Skilled in communications and technical information exchange with clients, engineers and scientists, government regulators and agencies, and academia, as well as non-technical communication to the public.
- Disciplined approach to project execution and technical excellence.
- Ability to provide written and verbal direction on project delivery.
- Shows leadership in striving to continuously improve technical performance.
- Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports creativity and innovation.
- Builds and maintains productive professional and personal networking relationships.
- Drives collaborative efforts within the region and beyond to deliver consistent, high quality and appropriately scoped technical work.
- Ability to use field data collection equipment such as GPS, transit, and Total Station
- At least four years of experience successfully executing technical aspects of medium to complex projects.
- Good driving record and valid driver's license required.
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER training required.
- Prior to employment with Stantec, a successful passing of a physical and drug screen will be required.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Archaeology, or related field. Minimum 7-8 years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education (e.g., advanced degree) and experience.
Membership as a Registered Professional Archeologist (RPA) is preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: United States-California-Bakersfield
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002IL
Back to top