Stantec is currently seeking a Senior Archaeologist to join our Archaeology team in Calgary. Your role will include archaeological survey, testing, evaluation, data recovery, and construction monitoring, as well as other tasks as assigned. You will do shovel testing, test unit excavation, soil profile description, artifact analyses, preparation of detailed field notes and archaeological site records. You must be able and willing to work outdoors in remote locations and for extended periods under all weather conditions, often traversing rugged terrain. Must demonstrate awareness for workplace safety; and be willing to work independently when conditions are appropriate or with limited supervision. You will work closely with Stantec's project managers, laboratory resources and environmental staff.
This is a casual contract from April to November 2019 with opportunity to extend or convert to permanent employment.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Directing archaeological fieldwork in various parts of Alberta and/or western Canada, including field crew supervision
- Ability to travel and work non-standard work weeks and long days in variable weather and physical settings
- Physically demanding work often in remote field settings where proximity to services, including medical services, may be an issue
- Operation of a motor vehicle, including pickup trucks and trailering
- Operation of other types of motor equipment including archaeological power screens
- Operating near mobile equipment and heavy machinery
- Artifact analysis, interpretation and report writing
- Regulatory and client communication
- Completion of projects efficiently within allocated budgets and timelines
- A strong commitment to safety and the use of personal protective equipment
- Other duties as required
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Eligibility to hold archaeological permits in Alberta/western Canada
- Historical resources field experience in Western Canada (Alberta experience is an asset), as well as experience with reporting and analysis tasks
- Experience at conducting historical resource studies for a variety of development sectors is an asset
- Valid driver's license
Education and Experience
Minimum of a master's degree in Archaeology or related field from a recognized post-secondary institution (equivalencies will be considered)
Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in archaeological field work
Two (2) years' permit holding experience in Western Canada is preferred; however, more junior applicants will also be considered
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Employee Status: Temporary
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900010S
Back to top