Senior Agronomist/Agricultural Specialist
- Chandler, AZ
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
This role will support engineering and technical work relating to irrigation district water deliveries as well as irrigation water use and farm management practices. The objective is to identify opportunities to more efficiently utilize limited water resources to better distribute water among various users of water.
The Senior Agronomist/Agricultural Specialist must possess the following core competencies:
- Extensive experience in on-farm management of irrigation water and crop production practices on large commercial farms as well as on small individual personal farms.
- Experience with farms located outside the United States, particularly in Latin American countries.
- Be fluent in the Spanish language, both verbal and written.
- Be capable of working with minimal supervision and to work well with groups.
- Have the ability to manage time, be organized, set priorities, and deliver results on time.
- Possess excellent communication skills, verbal, writing, electronic communications, and with presentations.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform data searches relating to previous work done on specific topics as well as work done previously by researchers and industry
- Perform visual and technical field observations of commercial and individual farming practices. Must be able to quantify those components relating to management of crop and irrigation practices on individual farms as well as larger units such as irrigation districts
- Liaison with other team members to prepare and present specific tasks to be performed
- Identify appropriate Deliverables to present information gathered
- Support other team members with information relevant to the work project
- Recognize and honor the importance of confidentiality of client information and exercise discretion regarding work projects
- Meet project timeline and deadlines
- Monitor and control budgeted project costs
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient in WORD and EXCEL programs
- Proven ability to work with technical teams on projects relating to water development, water utilization, and water conservation activities
- Ability to take initiative as needed and follow up to complete work projects
- Cost-conscious approach to project budgets and control of expenses
- Flexibility in adapting to particular project needs
- Team player able to work with various individual personalities and cultures
- Able to relate to and understand different cultures and economic conditions as they relate to work projects
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Science Degree in Agronomy
- 20 years' work experience in agricultural consulting and on-farm management of irrigated crops in numerous Western states in the US as well as in Mexico and South America
- Specific on-farm management of large commercial farming operation as well as irrigation diversion and water delivery systems
- Work experience on a wide variety of agricultural projects, including small family farms, large commercial projects on Indian lands, investor properties, irrigation districts, and government projects
- Extensive work experience providing technical support to engineering firms, ag economists, state agencies allocating water, and federal agencies involved in agricultural support and compliance monitoring.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Earth Scientist
Primary Location: United States-Arizona-Chandler
Employee Status: Temporary
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190003OK
Back to top