Residential Combination Inspector
Your Opportunity We put the engine in buildings engineering. Intelligent collaboration. Innovative execution. These are the elements of buildings engineering that rev us up. With decades of experience under our belts, we're achieving remarkable results with our work in building technologies, energy, and environmental performance. Our team works with clients, registrants, and jurisdictions to ensure designs, buildings, and processes are on track for safety, performance, and sustainability.
Our team of interdisciplinary code professionals work collaboratively to assure client designs comply with life-safety requirements of the international codes. Our history with local and regional jurisdictions and tribal governments includes plan review, field inspection, and interim building official.
Stantec's Phoenix office is looking for a Combination Residential Building Inspector who is responsible for approving moderately complex commercial and residential projects such as new construction, remodels, swimming pools and spas, mobile homes and utilities, and gas installations. Inspections shall be based on current applicable codes, ordinances, and administrative directives which are enforced by the jurisdictions that Stantec Consulting Services provides services.
Your Duties The responsibilities include reading and interpreting building plans and specifications; providing concise written documentation regarding deficiencies and approvals; document maintenance; and client and site owner interactions to communicate requirements and find solutions. Candidates must show experience and knowledge of a variety of building code disciplines including, but not limited to, building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical as well as the ability to work independently in the field and exterior conditions. The international codes are complex and require a variety of interpretations based upon the specific conditions of each construction project, including the scope of work, nature of work, age of existing building, codes applicable during the original construction, and current code requirements.
- Inspection of residential sites to ensure compliance with all applicable building codes, client zoning codes and ordinances, and approved plans, supplemental documents, and product specifications.
- Communicates deficiencies in written and/or electronic reports based on client instructions and assists contractors, owners, or owner's representatives in code conflict resolution to achieve code and plan conformance.
- Interprets code requirements and educates all customers as needed on code requirements for all disciplines.
- Approves alternate methods of construction within their scope of authority as permitted and assigned by the jurisdiction.
- Records approvals and denials in client software program(s) as directed.
- Ensures sites meet minimum code requirements and standards and releases information in accordance with established procedures.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
- Desired candidates prioritize customer service, integrity, and a commitment to support growth and fiscal responsibility.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Minimum three (3) years of experience inspecting all residential construction disciplines including architectural, zoning, energy structural, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical. Candidates must also possess current International Code Council certifications as stipulated below. Other combinations of experience and education meeting the minimum requirements may be substituted.
- IBC, IMC, IPC, IRC, UBC, UPC, UMC, and NEC codes, ordinances, and directives, including building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing as applied to new and existing residential construction projects.
- Various construction materials and methods and stages of construction.
- Mathematical principles required to interpret related technical calculations.
- Microsoft Office
- Cooperate with internal and external Stantec clients and the general public.
- Read and accurately interpret plans and specifications.
- Objectively interpret and consistently apply code requirements and related standards in accordance with department policies.
- Interpret and apply code minimum requirements and all related ordinances, standards, and specifications.
- Observe and monitor site construction for compliance with operational procedures.
- Communicate in the English language and perceive colors (regarding electrical wiring standards)
- Use graphic instructions, such as blueprints, plans, schematic drawings, or other visual aids.
- Comprehend and make inferences from written material.
- Organize, distribute, and maintain jurisdictionally approved documents and directions (plans, permit files, stop work orders, ordinance violations, and miscellaneous documents).
- Bend and stoop continually or repeatedly, raise arms above your shoulders, climb up/down ladders, traverse construction sites at various stage of completion, work at elevated heights (above 10 feet), and/or travel across uneven ground during inspection work.
- Provide written, electronic, and oral communications to clients and owners as well as maintain and organize those records.
- Work safely without presenting a threat to self or others.
Must possess four (4) of the following discipline certifications OR an ICC Residential Combination Inspector certification:
- Building: ICC Residential Building Inspector OR ICC Commercial Electrical Inspector
- Electrical: ICC Residential Electrical Inspector OR IAEI Electrical 1&2 Family Dwelling OR ICC Commercial Electrical Inspector
- Mechanical: ICC Residential Mechanical Inspector OR ICC Commercial Mechanical Inspector
- Plumbing: IAPMO Plumbing Inspector OR ICC Residential Plumbing Inspector OR ICC Commercial Plumbing Inspector
- Energy: ICC Residential Energy Inspector/Plans Examiner OR ICC Commercial Energy Inspector
Driver's license with satisfactory driving record required.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top