Railway Signal Designer, Transportation
We create the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Our Transportation team is seeking a Railway Signal Designer to join our growing team. Reporting to the rail and transit systems lead, the primary focus of the role will be designing the rail signal systems for railway and transit lines.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Detail circuit design of signals and interlocking for wayside, control centre and rail crossings.
- Prepare electrical schematics for track circuits, road crossing circuits, relay interlockings, junction boxes, terminal blocks and signal housing.
- Ensure the signal design is completed and ready for procurement and/or construction.
- Provide bill of materials (BOM) and specification for the signal design packages.
- Prepare test procedures and commissioning plan for signal installation and operation.
- Understand and follow the client's CAD standards along with applicable codes and procedures.
- Provide technical data and timely support to internal and external customers when required.
- Monitoring technical performance of the design and ensuring all milestones are met.
- Coordinate with other discipline leads and provides proposal support as required.
- Managing the quality of work in accordance with Stantec quality plan and obtaining the required technical sign-off and approvals both internally and from external agencies.
- Meet job/project deadlines as determined in conjunction with the project schedule.
- Perform engineering tasks according to corporate safety policies, standards, and procedures.
- Duties may be modified from time to time, however it shall be consistent with the position.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Comprehensive Knowledge of signalling using AREMA, CROR, FRA, CENELEC, IEEE and MIL.
- Working knowledge of signalling equipment such as ElectroLogIXS or GEO.
- Familiar with railway operators and their procedures such as Metrolinx, CN, CP, VIA or TTC.
- Position may require travel or temporary relocation to customer locations as required.
- Proficiency using CAD software such as AutoCAD or MicroStation is required.
- Sound judgment, effective organizational, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills including technical writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work with multi-discipline technical teams, deal with complex issues and maintain effective working.
- Motivated self-starter able to work reliably and efficiently with minimal supervision.
Education and Experience
University degree in Electrical Engineering or Controls Engineering.
Minimum 8 years relevant experience in railway signals and controls design.
Professional Engineer License (P.Eng.) or eligibility is required.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 1900020X
Back to top