Railway Signal Designer
Your Opportunity: Whatever the distance, wherever the destination-our designs lead you there. Our Transportation group provides comprehensive planning, design, and engineering services for all phases of airport, bridge, rail, roadway, and transit projects. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Stantec has an opportunity for a Railway Signal Designer to work in our Transportation group. This position can be located out of one of Stantec's major offices throughout Canada.
Your Duties: Reporting to the rail and transit systems lead, the primary focus of the role will be designing the railway signals for passenger and freight lines. University degree in electrical or control engineering with minimum of 8-year industry experience is highly requested. Registered as a licensed Professional Engineering or be able to acquire it is highly desirable.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Detail circuit design of signals and interlocking for wayside, control centre and rail crossings.
- Prepare electrical schematics for track circuits, road crossing circuits, relay interlockings, junction boxes, terminal blocks and signal housing.
- Ensure the signal design drawings and specification are completed and ready for procurement and/or construction.
- Provide bill of materials (BOM) and specification for the signal design packages.
- Prepare test procedures and commissioning plan for signal installation and operation.
- Understand and follow the client's CAD standards along with applicable codes and procedures.
- Provide technical data and timely support to internal and external customers when required.
- Monitoring technical performance of the design and ensuring all milestones are met.
- Coordinate with other discipline leads and provides proposal support as required.
- Managing the quality of work in accordance with Stantec quality plan and obtaining the required technical sign-off and approvals both internally and from external agencies.
- Meet job/project deadlines as determined in conjunction with the project schedule.
- Perform engineering tasks according to corporate safety policies, standards, and procedures.
- Duties and responsibilities may be modified from time to time, but shall be consistent with the position of railway signal designer.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- University degree in Electrical Engineering or Controls Engineering.
- Minimum 8 years' relevant experience in railway signals and controls design.
- Professional Engineer License (P.Eng.) or eligibility is required.
- Comprehensive Knowledge of signalling using AREMA, CROR, FRA, CENELEC, IEEE and MIL.
- Familiar with railway operators and their procedures such as Metrolinx, CN, CP, VIA or TTC.
- Position may require travel or temporary relocation to customer locations as required.
- Proficiency using CAD software such as AutoCAD or MicroStation is required.
- Sound judgment, effective organizational, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills including technical writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work with multi-discipline technical teams, deal with complex issues and maintain effective working.
- Motivated self-starter able to work reliably and efficiently with minimal supervision.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top