Project Technical Lead - Water & Wastewater Conveyance Engineer
- Las Vegas, NV
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
The role of Project Technical Lead for Conveyance is to work independently on smaller projects and as a team member of larger projects under the guidance of the Regional Delivery Leaders. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. Conveyance projects will include water distribution pipelines, wastewater gravity sewers and forcemains, pump stations, and lift stations. The Project Technical Lead will perform a variety of tasks which, may include calculations and field work. The projects that a Project Technical Lead may be assigned to may be broad, varied and diverse in scope. You will analyze proposed projects to ensure structural reliability, resource efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
Your Key Responsibilities
Technical Support for Project Execution & Delivery
- The candidate will provide technical support to Regional Delivery Leaders and engage as needed in executing and delivering projects within Nevada, the region, and across North America.
- The scope of this execution work will vary by project, but the focus will be on water infrastructure and pipeline engineering, promotion of best practices and standards for pipeline and pump stations, and QA/QC for design criteria.
- Full technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing and coordinating project assignments.
- Perform detailed engineering analysis and design for assigned projects, using judgment in developing and evaluating alternatives on complex projects. Develop plans and specifications.
- Serve as Project Technical Lead Engineer on medium to large water and wastewater conveyance and distribution infrastructure/pipeline planning and design projects. Responsibilities include developing preliminary budgets, determining scope of work, resource management, establishing schedules, and preparing technical plans and reports.
- Organize, draft and coordinate production of various reports to ensure technical accuracy and inclusion of appropriate documentation.
- Prepare and negotiate contracts and subcontracts documents and reviews and authorize changes and change orders to design and construction contracts, in collaboration with the Project Manager.
Supervising and Mentoring of Professional Staff
- Manage specific technical areas including the supervision of project engineers and provide technical expertise to project engineers, perform analysis or review of design data, provide technical guidance on design problems, and review project engineers' work, as required.
- Serve as mentor to junior engineering staff; the candidate will engage in active mentorship of peers and young professionals who desire guidance on career development objectives. This mentoring can take any number of forms, including guidance on preparation and delivery of presentations, papers, workshops, etc., client-facing protocols, and continuing education and training.
- Conduct work in a safe manner and promote health and safety within the office.
Technical Support for Regional Business Development Activities
- Provide technical support to Client Service Managers within the respective region of coverage for specific Business Development activities associated with proposal development and interview preparation and delivery, with the primary intent of winning specific project work. Ability to interact independently with Clients.
- This technical support includes, but may not be limited to: face-to-face client interactions, site visits, technical training for client staff, workshop presentations on water infrastructure, planning, condition assessment, etc.
- Writing technical approaches for proposals, developing slide decks for the technical aspects of competitive interviews and developing work-breakdown structures for project delivery.
- Seek out new work, prepare proposals, lead presentations, and negotiate new contracts and/or task orders.
- Engage in active membership in state, regional and national professional associations including, American Water Works Association, North American Society for Trenchless Technology, and others as appropriate including local affiliates within the Southwest region. This engagement entails the delivery of papers, presentations, workshops and webinars
- Performs more complex engineering design tasks on assigned projects, including engineering drawings, engineering reports and required applications to regulatory agencies, under supervision of [Regional Delivery Leader] and in collaboration with Client Services Manager and Project Manager
- Implements understanding of conveyance system construction elements as it relates to design, to select construction methods and defining work area limits.
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions.
- Serves as Engineer-of-Record.
- Performs hydraulic system calculations, pipe design calculations, engineering reports, and design criteria.
- Conducts alternative analyses (i.e. route/alignments, pipe size and materials, etc.) to support business case evaluations for making project decisions.
- Manages and leads other team members while working on projects; completes tasks and delegates specific project tasks to other team members as appropriate.
- Prepares contract documents for construction (i.e. engineering drawings and specifications).
- Understands and implements industry standards and manuals (i.e. ASTM, AWWA, ACPA, etc.) as well as client and regulatory agency standards and requirements.
- Involved in the permitting process of projects, which may require meetings with clients, contractors, reviewing agency personnel and governing entities.
- Prepares portions of engineering project proposals, change orders, client contact and communication pertaining to specific projects in collaboration with Project Manager.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requires strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work with engineering staff at all levels; MS Office skills, proficient in Word and Excel.
- Requires proven skills in leading project teams and building relationships both internally and externally; team player and able to work with a variety of personalities
Technical experience to include two or more of the following:
- Technical project leadership on water conveyance projects
- Design of large diameter steel, concrete, HDPE, or fiberglass pipe for water conveyance with provisions for seismic resiliency, inverted siphons, suspended crossings, pressure regulating, venting, and flexible connections at structures.
- Condition assessment projects for water or wastewater pipelines.
- Pump station design for water conveyance.
- Wastewater lift station and force main design.
- Pipe network modeling for water distribution.
- Repair or replacement of pipelines using trenchless technologies.
- Experience with design of wastewater lift stations and water pump stations highly preferred.
Education and Experience
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Engineering
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in water, wastewater, and/or water infrastructure design projects.
- Nevada Professional Engineering (PE) License required. (Or able to obtain Nevada PE within 6 months)
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Nevada-Las Vegas
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002YM
Back to top