Project Manager, Power and Dams, Washington
Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. When it comes to hydropower, dams, locks and navigation projects, we design with the next generation in mind. We operate with the strength of a $3B company paired with the agility of a specialized waterpower and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world's most impactful waterpower and dam projects-projects vital to both local and global communities.
Stantec delivers best in class project delivery through professional project management - executing exceptionally for clients around the globe. Stantec is seeking highly qualified applicants to lead interesting and iconic projects as part of our successful Power and Dams business operations in the western US.
As a Senior Project Manager (SPM) you will be responsible for the execution of complex and high value projects in the Power & Dams business line and play a key role in maximizing the performance of the business. This includes working closely with the Client, the Stantec Project Team and Stantec Business Center/Business Line Management regarding the commercial and technical requirements of the project. The Senior Project Manager is to direct the overall planning, organizational management and execution of the project during all phases of the assigned scope.
Our existing P&D operation has a multidisciplinary staff that specializes in the planning, design, construction management, and on-going operations of P&D including:
Conventional hydropower - All types of dams - Pumped storage hydropower - Tunnels
The position will be located in our office in Bellevue, Washington.
Your Key Responsibilities
Help build and sustain high-performance project teams. Plan, organize and manage the day-to-day activities of assigned projects. Develop, communicate and set up the Project Plan, delegate responsibilities, obtain input from stakeholders as needed, motivate the team, coordinate technical tasks and the production of deliverables meeting the scope, schedule, cost and quality objectives. The SPM will interact internally throughout the organization with staff at all levels; as well as externally with clients, members of business and professional organizations, subcontractors, and other firms.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Personally pursue and serve as a project manager for projects, managing scope, schedule, budget, quality and risk in compliance with Stantec's PM Framework requirements.
- Develop Client relationships to facilitate future project work and existing project activities.
- Work in a manner to protect the health and safety of Stantec employees, clients and the public by following company health, safety and security guidelines and policies.
- Maintain and enhance our reputation with clients, approval agencies and industry professionals as an outstanding service provider.
- Lead by example with active support of internal policies and practices, including risk management, project management, and quality management.
- Grow internal and external networks to enhance Stantec reputation and identify additional talent to join our team.
- Provide mentoring and training for staff interested in Project Management, including development of succession plans for key positions.
- Promote collaboration and teamwork across business lines and geographies.
- Coordinate with PM's and business leaders to implement corrective actions for distressed projects (when required).
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, adhering to Stantec WP&D's PM Framework and PMI best practices.
- Establish project objectives, procedures and performance standards.
- Exercise initiative in addressing problem situations and resolve most project delivery related matters.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams on proposals, planning studies, feasibility through final designs, and construction services projects.
- Identify appropriate resources and skill sets to achieve project objectives.
- Manage contract tasks, track and manage costs and schedule, and implement measures necessary to stay on schedule and within budget utilizing established project management procedures within Stantec.
Education and Experience
- Minimum 15-20 years' relevant experience in projectmanagement preferably for large engineering, design, and construction projects for energy, hydropower and/or dams sectors.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or sciences. (Master's Degree is a plus).
- Project Management Professional (PMP) is strongly preferred. (P.E. license is a plus.
- Strong project management skills, with experience in organizing, planning, and executing projects from pursuit through closeout, involving internal personnel, contractors, and vendors.
- Demonstrated successful experience in client service management.
- Demonstrated successful experience in leadership, including defining and setting the direction for a team, and project; strategy development; change management; and corporate stewardship.
- Demonstrated successful experience in decision making, including making sound defensible business decisions; and identifying, assessing, evaluating and solving complex problems.
- Demonstrated successful experience in project earned value management, including analysis of cost and schedule variances, development of bottoms-up estimates to complete, and analysis of estimates at completion to ensure successful project management during all project stages.
- Solid understanding of legal, insurance, environment, and safety implications and requirements.
- Demonstrated proficiency in problem solving, and risk management.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Exemplify a professional attitude and demeanor.
- Ability to be an independent thinker capable of solving problems within a team environment by analyzing technical issues, applying underlying principles, and delivering cost-effective solutions that provide value to clients.
- Travel to other offices as well as to project sites will be required.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Project Manager
Primary Location: United States-Washington-Bellevue
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 190003PM
Back to top