Project Manager - International Development - Water
- Washington, DC
At Stantec, we believe that growing a successful business happens from the inside out. We look for people willing to use their individual talents to the fullest extent, who consistently draw on their personal creativity and imagination to make progress, and who are driven to accomplish extraordinary things.
The 14th Street Washington, DC office is the hub for Stantec's US-led international development work. It's where we manage technical and advisory services to US government foreign assistance agencies including the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), as well as other global development organizations, both public and private. The work coming out of this office is not just focused on physical outputs, but also on long-term social, economic, and environmental outcomes. Our purpose and core values, together with a corporate culture of collaboration, innovation, safety, and quality, enable us to deliver impactful development projects and programs which improve the quality of life of those in the global communities we serve.
As a Project Manager (PM) based in Washington, D.C., you will join a small, dynamic and growing team of international development professionals and instantly become an important part of maximizing the performance of our business. You will work under the direction of the Project Management and Commercial Lead (PMCL) to manage select projects (valued up to $5M) in our water and sanitation, and energy-focused portfolio, and have responsibility for overseeing the human, financial and operational resources necessary to meet contractual and company-related project obligations and achieve profitability. This role demands strong business discipline to ensure projects are effectively managed and delivered on time, on budget and to the required technical standard and quality; and excellent client relationship management to help build value and forge relationships with our clients, making them advocates for Stantec.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Demonstrate desire and provide team leadership and facilitation skills
- Maintain a logical, disciplined approach to project execution
- Resolve issues effectively using a combination of standard project management procedures and methods developed on previous projects
- Determine, assign, and monitor project team responsibilities
- Plan and manage budget, schedule, and scope taking into account risk/change management
- Effectively convey through written and verbal means the necessary issues and tools to perform project management responsibilities
- Build and maintain productive professional and personal networking relationships
- Work within a team approach to provide great customer service
- Establish commitment towards a team vision and goals by taking into consideration resources, constraints, organizational values, and business needs
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Be comfortable working under general supervision and within broad guidelines, but also self-managing on individual tasks related to the project
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel required
- Working knowledge of MS Project, SharePoint, ProjectWise
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and fluency in English required; additional fluency in French, Portuguese, or Arabic a plus
- In-depth technical knowledge in a specialized area such as water and sanitation, energy, or environmental services preferred
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree required with 6-8 years of post-education related experience managing technical assistance projects, ideally in a consulting business and/or funded by MCC, USAID, or other international donor organizations. Fewer years' experience will be considered with a master's degree.
PMP certification required.
We're active members of the communities we serve. That's why at Stantec we always design with community in mind. We believe growing a great design company happens from the inside out. We look for people who are drawn to use every talent they possess, plus imagination, determination and a drive to do the extraordinary.
The Stantec community unites approximately 22,000 employees working in over 400 locations across six continents. We collaborate across disciplines and industries to bring projects to life. Our work as architects, engineers, and consultants from initial project concept and planning through design, construction and commissioning is built on a solid history of success. So when we take on a project we see the opportunity to make a lasting connection with the people and places where we live and work. Redefine your personal best. Join us!
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Project Manager
Primary Location: United States-District Of Columbia-Washington
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 200000PS
Back to top