Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
We are seeking a Project Manager to provide leadership for energy-related projects located primarily in the Commonwealth of Virginia and North Carolina. Must demonstrate in-depth expertise and be capable of solving problems of significant complexity by providing original, innovative, practical, and economical solutions. Work involves planning, directing, and coordinating complex assignments/projects, modifying established guidelines, and initiating new approaches. Thorough knowledge of organizational directives, programs, standards, and administrative procedures is required.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Preparing documents related to development energy-related projects, including filings with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) and North Carolina Utilities Commission (NCUC).
- Executing environmental permitting strategy, developing regulatory strategy, and directing environmental field surveys and construction compliance for a variety of energy-related projects.
- Managing project budgets, schedules and teams. Directing subcontracted services.
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of environmental policy and procedures manuals for compliance assurance throughout the lifecycle of energy-related projects.
- Managing information development, wetland delineations, threatened and endangered species habitat characterizations, land use mapping and vegetation cover classification, GPS data collection, consultations, permitting, and report preparation for the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ), North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (NCDEQ), Virginia Marine Resources Commission (VMRC), and other state and local agencies.
- Partnering with an integrated environmental/engineering/survey team to deliver successful projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of and ability to apply environmental compliance and permitting regulations of applicable regulatory agencies, including the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), USACE, USFWS, SCC, NCUC, VDEQ, NCDEQ and VMRC.
- Knowledge of documents related to requests for proposals, invitations for bid, and tendering offers.
- A "hands-on" individual experienced in managing permitting applications and projects from start to finish.
- Knowledge of computer applications and functions, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Work effectively in a team environment with the strong ability to maintain and establish effective working relationships.
- Ability to review project work scopes, quantities, costs, and accuracy of specifications for completeness, and constructability.
- Consistently meet project deadlines.
- Excellence in verbal and written communications, including advanced technical writing abilities.
- Strong ability to prioritize, organize, and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously.
- Ability to perform work accurately in a detail oriented environment.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, procedures, correspondence, and other written materials.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, self-directed, and possess the ability to make sound business decisions. The ability to balance an entrepreneurial, pragmatic approach to business development and project execution is essential. The position requires a focus on client needs, strong leadership, strategic/critical thinking, and problem solving skills to advance both the client and Stantec in the energy sector.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's or Masters' degree in Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Planning, Geology or related discipline preferred.
Minimum of 7 years of experience specific to regulatory practice in the environmental field, including 3 years of experience managing projects. At least 2 years of experience in the energy field preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice .
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Scientist
Primary Location: United States-Virginia-Williamsburg
Other Locations: United States-Virginia-Richmond
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190000L6
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top