Project Environmental Scientist or Planner - ( 2000026I )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that is critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is hiring a Project Level Environmental Scientist or Planner to support our Assessment, Permitting and Compliance Practice. Job responsibilities include supporting the preparation of environmental impact analyses, related technical studies which include desktop studies and field surveys, and discretionary permit application packages, as well as providing field task oversight. This position offers the selected individual the ability to apply their technical experience working on major investor owned utility (IOU) environmental infrastructure projects across Southern California, as well as professional development opportunities within an established and rapidly growing consulting organization.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide assistance in the preparation of environmental compliance documents in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), including: Initial Studies, Negative Declarations, Environmental Impact Reports, Environmental Assessments, Environmental Impact Statements, and exemptions/exclusions.
- Support desktop and field data findings associated with project descriptions, and/or technical reports.
- Support preparation of environmental permit applications with various federal, state, and local agencies for a variety of project types/sizes.
- Assist with preparation of various constraints analyses, environmental plans, and strategies required for construction and planning projects.
- Assist with various environmental surveys and reporting.
- Potential to provide field guidance of staff during field programs.
- Maintain an 85% direct project utilization goal.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- 2-5 years of applicable technical experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of CEQA/NEPA Guidelines and prior experience supporting environmental compliance documents.
- Experience with discretionary permitting for federal, state and/or local agencies. Proven knowledge of the Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, Clean Air Act, California Department of Fish and Game Code, Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act, California Coastal Act, and municipal zoning is an asset.
- Experience working with a diverse set of project types including investor owned utility, power, environmental infrastructure, oil and gas, water, and community development land uses is an asset.
- This role requires effective in person, tele/video conference, and written communication with team members. The Project Level professional is commonly expected to assist with planning and documenting such communications.
- Highly proficient with MS Office suite (e.g., Microsoft Word, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Project, Adobe Acrobat, Excel).
- Capable working both individually and as part of team.
- Ability for periodic travel necessary to support field surveys and/or project meetings.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required.
- Prior to employment, this position will require the successful passing of a pre-employment physical.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor or Master's degree in Environmental Sciences, or similar, and 2-5 years of related experience.
Office environment with prolonged sitting and computer work, or combination of office and field. Ability to effectively work from home office independently through potential COVID-19 work restrictions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : United States-California-Thousand Oaks
Other Locations : United States-California-Pasadena, United States-California-San Diego, United States-California-Irvine, United States-California-San Bernardino
Job : Environmental Planner
Organization : BC-1858 Environmental Services-US Pacific
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 21, 2020, 3:59:17 PM
Req ID: 2000026I
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans