Project Engineer (Water Resources)
Your Opportunity: 2,500 Environmental Services staff. 20 technical specialties. 900 professional associations. An international team with local expertise. You could say we know a little something about the environment. Our passion for it drives our work. Grounded by safety, quality, and ethics, we come up with solutions that perfectly fit the site. We know what it takes to balance competing project interests with creativity and efficiency. We know what to look for. And, we know how to get the job done-the right way. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Your Duties: Join our team in either our Fairfax or Fredericksburg, VA office as we create new ways to tap into water's vast potential. Stantec has an immediate need for a Project Engineer (Water Resources) in our Environmental Services group.
- Perform onsite construction observation, contractor coordination, and daily inspection reports, related to BMP and Stream Restoration construction.
- Review contractor submittals, respond to Requests for Information (RFIs), and as-built survey review.
- Liaise between clients, contractors, municipal officials and third parties on-site.
- Perform Hydrologic and Hydraulic Modeling.
- Provide assistance with stormwater regulatory compliance and permit support.
- Assist in the Development of TMDL Action Plans.
- Assist in supporting MS4 clients and pursuits.
- Assist in stormwater master planning at a basin or community scale.
- Perform floodplain evaluations, including modeling and permit support.
- Perform Stream Restoration Design.
- Perform stream flow and water budget studies.
- Lead field support for water quality studies, watershed walkovers, stream assessments, and other projects.
- Conduct studies and assessments on dams and lakes.
- Assist in the design and analysis of stormwater facilities.
- Evaluate and design low impact development stormwater strategies.
- Conduct peer and quality reviews on all applicable projects.
- Assist in business development and project/task pursuits for municipal water resources clients.
- Participate in industry and stakeholder groups for water resources issues.
- Plan and manage tasks as assigned.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned by management.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Minimum of 2-4 years prior experience in a similar role required.
- Bachelor of Science (minimum) in Civil, Water Resources, Biological Systems, Environmental Engineering, Construction Management or other closely related degree required.
- Course work in hydraulics, hydrology, water quality and treatment, and related subjects required.
- Course work or prior experience in GIS and AutoCAD required.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) or Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification required.
- SWM and ESC Plan Reviewer, Inspector, or Combined Administrator certification through the Virginia DEQ preferred.
- Knowledge of intermediate to advanced civil and environmental engineering techniques.
- Knowledge of stormwater planning and engineering.
- Knowledge of hydraulics and hydrology analysis and modeling.
- Knowledge of water quality assessments and treatment.
- Knowledge of LID practices and design.
- Knowledge of TMDL development, implementation planning and action plan development.
- Knowledge of stormwater regulatory requirements at federal, state and local levels.
- Knowledge of MS4 permit requirements.
- Knowledge of municipal procurement and contract standards.
- Must have a high attention to detail.
- Skill in GIS mapping and analysis or AutoCAD drafting and standards.
- Skill in hydrology and hydraulics software (e.g. HEC-RAS, SWMM, and Pond Pack), Civil, Structural, database, and Microsoft Office software.
- Skill in schematic design and design development for stream restoration and stormwater BMP projects.
- Skill in final design and construction plan preparation for stream restoration and stormwater BMP projects.
- Skill in preparation of technical specifications and bid documents.
- Skill in technical writing and verbal communication.
- Skill in watershed planning.
- Skill in floodplain studies.
- Ability to walk 2-4 miles per day in rough terrain and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must have the ability to work in the field for long hours in all weather conditions.
- Ability to perform construction observation and coordinate with Contractors.
- Ability to work remotely in a construction oversight role within commuting distance for an extended amount of time.
- Ability to work in a highly automated design office environment.
- Ability to communicate in a professional and positive manner, both in writing and in person, with clients, employees and visitors.
- Ability to prepare reports and conduct studies.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate with clients and engineers.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Must have a good driving record and valid driver's license.
- Prior to employment with Stantec, the candidate will be required to successfully pass drug/alcohol screening.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top