Project Engineer (Water Resources)
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Your Opportunity Join our team in our Fredericksburg, Virginia office (Fairfax office as possible alternative) as we create new ways to tap into water's vast potential. Stantec has an immediate need for a Project Engineer (Water Resources) in our Environmental Services group. Stantec is a leader in the stormwater and stream restoration industries with a deep bench of both local and national expertise. Our strong team continues to grow, so it is an exciting time to join us as we continue our success and create more opportunities for our staff's growth and development. If you have the high-quality water resources expertise that we embrace and want to contribute to the industry in an impactful way, join our team! The ideal candidate for our team of water resources experts would be one who thrives on finding solutions to complex problems and has a balance of experience and/or capabilities that include: (1) stormwater management design and/or (2) stream restoration design.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform stream restoration design.
- Perform the design and analysis of stormwater facilities.
- Evaluate and design low impact development stormwater strategies.
- Perform hydrologic and hydraulic modeling.
- Perform floodplain evaluations.
- Perform field support for water quality studies, watershed walkovers, stream assessments, and other projects.
- Assist in supporting MS4 clients and pursuits.
- Assist in the development of TMDL Action Plans.
- Assist in stormwater master planning at a basin or community scale.
- Assist in studies and assessments on dams and lakes.
- Assist with onsite construction observation, contractor coordination, and daily inspection reports, related to BMP and Stream Restoration construction.
- Assist with the review of contractor submittals, respond to Requests for Information (RFIs), and as-built survey review.
- Liaise between clients, contractors, municipal officials and third parties on-site.
- Conduct peer and quality reviews on all applicable projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- SWM and ESC Plan Reviewer, Inspector, or Combined Administrator certification through the Virginia DEQ preferred.
- Knowledge of intermediate to advanced civil and environmental engineering techniques.
- Knowledge of stormwater planning and engineering.
- Knowledge of hydraulics and hydrology analysis and modeling.
- Knowledge of water quality assessments and treatment.
- Knowledge of LID practices and design.
- Knowledge of technical specifications and bid documents.
- Must have a high attention to detail.
- Skill in GIS mapping and analysis or AutoCAD drafting and standards.
- Skill in hydrology and hydraulics software (e.g. HEC-RAS, SWMM, and/or Pond Pack) and Microsoft Office software.
- Skill in design of stream restoration and stormwater BMP projects.
- Skill in technical writing and verbal communication.
- Skill in watershed planning.
- Skill in floodplain studies.
- Ability to walk 2-4 miles per day in rough terrain and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must have the ability to work in the field for long hours in all weather conditions.
- Ability to perform construction observation and coordinate with Contractors.
- Ability to work in a highly automated design office environment.
- Ability to communicate in a professional and positive manner, both in writing and in person, with clients, employees and visitors.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate with clients and engineers.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Must have a good driving record and valid driver's license.
- Prior to employment with Stantec, the candidate will be required to successfully pass drug/alcohol screening.
Minimum of 4-7 years prior experience in a similar role required.
Bachelor of Science (minimum) in Civil, Water Resources, Biological Systems, Environmental Engineering, or other closely related degree required.
Course work and experience in hydraulics, hydrology, water quality and treatment, and related subjects required.
Course work or prior experience in GIS and AutoCAD required.
Professional Licensure (P.E.) required, or ability to obtain within six (6) months.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top