- Asbury Park, NJ
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Stantec's Wall Township New Jersey office is looking for a skilled Project Engineer who will be able to apply engineering principals and superior client service skills to cultivate and deliver projects that exceed expectations. This individual strategically evaluates opportunities and challenges and incorporates well-developed consulting and technical skills into each client interaction. In addition, this individual will apply technical and project management expertise while leading cross-functional resources to meet project requirements within established time frames and budgets.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Apply knowledge of industry standards and engineering design principles.
- Apply knowledge of renewable energy systems, including photovoltaic (PV), Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS), combustion generation, standby power and knowledge of associated microgrid design principles.
- Apply knowledge of one-line drawings, elementaries and wiring diagrams, equipment specifications (including transformers, MCC, switchgear, substation equipment); power plans, conduit plans, cable schedules, system studies and protective relay settings.
- Apply knowledge of power systems ranging from 480V to 35kV distribution and transmission systems.
- Serve as part-time resident engineer (RE) on an as needed basis and provide oversight to other RE's active on active construction projects.
- Routinely interact with, manage and serve clients
- Evaluates, selects, specifies and provides engineering oversight for all engineered systems or products for a project.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various phases including site plans, diagrams, and details.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, subcontractors and vendors.
- Develops and manages the project scope, budget and schedule.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group.
- Assists with the development of proposals.
- Oversees and manages multiple projects.
- Participates in constructability review.
- The successful Project Engineer will demonstrate a "client first" approach in developing key relationships.
- Nurtures existing client relationships and proactively pursues opportunities for new business
- Provides client consultation, drawing on professional expertise and knowledge of Stantec's services
- Develops and delivers client presentations
- Maintains current knowledge of technologies and trends, as they apply to the applicable project and market types, and continually strengthens skills
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of power systems including, but not limited to, combustion power plants, generation systems, photovoltaic (PV/solar) systems and battery energy storage systems (BESS).
- Demonstrate broad general knowledge of electrical industrial and utility power projects, including strong familiarity with other disciplines required for completion of such projects, including Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, environmental remediation of construction sites, Surveying and Geomatics, and permitting as well as electrical disciplines such as Protection and Controls, load studies, short circuit analysis, harmonic analysis, grounding studies and design, cable thermal studies, voltage profile studies, arc flash analysis, and SCADA systems.
- Exhibit originality in providing innovative, practical and economical solutions.
- Demonstrate broad technical knowledge and experience in multiple areas of specialization and/or business operations management within the organization.
- Thorough knowledge of organizational directives, programs, standards and administrative procedures is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of solar energy project design and development.
- Ability to manage clients, projects, fees, and staff to achieve budget, schedule, and deliverable objectives.
- Strong knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Working understanding and knowledge of power distribution systems, low and medium voltage systems.
- Working knowledge of electrical utility markets.
- Ability to apply sustainable design principles within projects.
- Strong client communication and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of recent versions of AutoCAD and/or other design software as it relates to power system design.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Travel is required to meet engagement/client requirements - may include regional or national based on the contracted requirements.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET-accredited University.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in engineering & design.
- Experience in Photovoltaic and other generation projects.
- Prior experience in consulting is preferred.
- Engineer-in-training completed, or in the process of obtaining the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE), with the ability to obtain a Professional Engineer's license.
- Successful history of collaboration and teaming with contractors on Design-Build (DB) and conventional design, bid, build (DBB) projects.
- History of field oversight for power-related construction projects, specifically Photovoltaic projects.
- Experience in the construction industry and/or in-depth knowledge of construction processes.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Wall Township
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Req ID: 20000177
Back to top