Project Director, Owner's Representative (Buildings, Healthcare sector)
We're in the business of limitless potential. From iconic designs to monumental ground breakings, we believe the best solutions are the product of diverse perspectives.
By managing capital programs and projects as if they were our own, our project management business, and technical experts work with clients to strategize, plan, and implement projects that help them achieve their organization's objectives. Our award-winning team has managed thousands of projects across all sectors - hospitals, airports, and entire university campuses; infrastructure like mass transit and water-treatment facilities; and energy and resource assignments, from mines to wind farms.
Join an award-winning team of program and project management specialists that are passionate to bring transformational project solutions to life.
Your Opportunity You will act as an Owner's Representative, Project Director for the design and construction of multiple healthcare expansion and renovation projects. The projects will be in various phases from conceptual planning stages through design, construction and occupancy; and range in various complexities and total project costs of several Million to $200+M.
As a Project Director, you will exhibit all the qualities of a Project Manager plus the ability to participate in firm-wide planning and management. The typical Program and Project Management client structure includes a Project Executive paired with a Project Director and/or Project Manager (and Assistant Project Manager if required) so our clients benefit from a high level of service. This structure allows the Project Director to lead the team, while having a support structure of Stantec Program and Project Management Executives. Project Directors have autonomy and are empowered to lead project teams, while having access to executive oversight when required.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage all aspects of multiple Healthcare Sector projects valued at $25m-$200m, to include both renovations and new builds.
- Directly managing activities of up to 25-50 project team members.
- Foster a diverse culture.
- Manage conflicting priorities and business interests.
- Motivate and inspire others along with inspiring confidence and trust in clients and potential clients.
- Involve employees, deliver results, emphasize teamwork, stimulate change and recognize performance.
- Interact with client as project leader and define pace, progression and culture of project team.
- Communicate clients' goals, constraints, and priorities to the project team.
- Anticipate and foresee conditions and concerns. Make decisions on major project events, taking into consideration the impact the final direction has on the project goals and all disciplines within a project.
- Oversee that Project Manager's scheduling activities are meeting the client's goals and objectives.
- Communicate the vision and scope of the project and keep it on track.
- Develop and maintain the respect and confidence of the project team, motivating people to perform.
- Utilize the professional project team members and other resources efficiently.
- Create a project budget including all cost parameters for the project. Working knowledge of costs for capital project components.
- Create schedules with all relevant events and understand their relationships. Present and explain project budgets, schedules, scopes. And other project analyses.
- Train PM's in creating schedules, budgets, and team management.
- Present budgets, schedules and events to clients, allowing for continuous project progression with client understanding and concurrence.
- Monitor profitability - fee utilization against contract value.
- Review the design for adherence to client expectation and budgetary constraints.
- Monitor the Construction Process to ensure client's objectives are met.
- Take ownership and maintain full accountability for the success of the project.
- Monitor all client contact and correspondence.
- Review and approve all client invoices.
- Review and approve project invoices and payment requests such that payments are consistent with work completed.
- Assist in the preparation of all client/consultant contracts in consultation with Project Executive and with the assistance of the Director of Operations.
- Healthcare sector experience related to design and construction is required
- Project Management experience on large, capital project
- Ability to logically and creatively analyze and manage the project budget
- Understanding of preconstruction/project development process and requirements
- Understanding of contracts (negotiations, language, and requirements)
- Demonstrated ability to lead project team.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and problem solving abilities
- Strong computer skills and literacy in scheduling, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet software
7+ years' experience managing projects and leading project teams
Professional Registration a plus
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top