Project Director - Healthcare
Your Opportunity: Our Program & Project Management group pioneered independent project management in North America nearly 40 years ago, helping to define it as a profession distinct from architecture, engineering, and construction management. Exciting opportunities are available to join this passionate and talented group of professionals as we continue to set high standards for performance, innovation and service. This is a place where great ideas and rewarding careers call home. We help solve capital project challenges through the use of formal strategic and project management processes, enabled by project planning and management technology. Our professionals focus on managing program activities, expectations, and risk, while leading, supporting, and/or advising clients throughout all stages of the project life cycle. Our track record for success allows you to set the pace of your career.
We focus on the healthcare, higher education and other institutional clients. We act on behalf of our clients assembling project teams and providing leadership to a successful completion - on-time and within budget. Client satisfaction, value and quality are essential aspects of our business model. Good is not good enough!
Your Duties: A Project Director exhibits all the qualities of a Project Manager plus the ability to participate in firm-wide planning and management. This individual speaks clearly and persuasively. He/she has a proven ability to excel in a diverse culture while at the same time managing conflicting priorities and business interests. A Project Director has the ability to motivate and inspire others along with inspiring confidence and trust in clients and potential clients. The expectations of a Project Director are to be able to involve employees, deliver results, emphasize teamwork, stimulate change and recognize performance. The Project Director manages all aspects of multiple projects; interacts with client as project leader and defines pace, progression and culture of project team. A Project Director accepts the concept that the position is not limited to a 40-hour week.
REPORTS TO: Project Executive
SUPERVISES: Project Managers/Assistant Project Managers/Administrative Staff
- Healthcare Sector
- Directly managing activities of generally 25-50 project team members.
- Project size range generally $25m-$200m - both renovations and new/out of the ground.
- Understand and communicate clients' goals, constraints, and priorities to the project team.
- Ability to anticipate and foresee conditions and concerns. Make decisions on major project events, taking into consideration the impact the final direction has on the project goals and all disciplines within a project.
- Incorporate Owner's priorities into the project.
- Oversee that Project Manager's scheduling activities are meeting the client's goals and objectives.
- Communicate the vision and scope of the project and keep it on track.
- Develop and maintain the respect and confidence of the project team, motivating people to perform.
- Utilize the professional project team members and other resources efficiently.
- Create a project budget including all cost parameters for the project. Working knowledge of costs for capital project components.
- Present budgets successfully.
- Create schedules with all relevant events and understand their relationships. Present and explain project budgets, schedules, scopes. And other project analyses.
- Train PM's in creating schedules, budgets, and team management.
- Present budgets, schedules and events to clients, allowing for continuous project progression with client understanding and concurrence.
- Work with Director of Operations regarding project staffing.
- Monitor team progress.
- Monitor profitability - fee utilization against contract value.
Design, Production, and Construction
- Review the design for adherence to client expectation and budgetary constraints.
- Monitor the Construction Process to ensure client's objectives are met.
- Take ownership and maintain full accountability for the success of the project.
Correspondence and Financial Affairs
- Monitor all client contact and correspondence.
- Review and approve all client invoices.
- Review and approve project invoices and payment requests such that payments are consistent with work completed.
Legal and Contractual
- Assist in the preparation of all client/consultant contracts in consultation with Project Executive and with the assistance of the Director of Operations.
Marketing, Networking and Recruiting
- Develop and maintain relationships with client, consultants and project team.
- Expand professional network and develop good reputation in the marketplace.
- Introduce prospective recruits to hiring manager, as needed.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Healthcare sector experience related to design and construction is required.
- 7-15 years' experience managing projects and leading project teams.
- Degree in related field, such as Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or Business, or equivalent degree.
- Ability to logically and creatively analyze and manage the project budget.
- Understanding of preconstruction/project development process and requirements.
- Understanding of contracts (negotiations, language, and requirements).
- Demonstrated ability to lead project team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and problem solving abilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Professional Registration a plus.
- Strong computer skills and literacy in scheduling, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet software.
We put people first, and it shows. We're proud to be one of New York's Best Places to Work, as named by The Business Council of New York and NYS-SHRM.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top