Project Designer, Mechanical
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Your Opportunity The Project Designer, Mechanical draws on strong buildings engineering skills and industry experience to consistently produce project deliverables that meet project requirements and project manager and client expectations. Work consists of advanced mechanical design for the built environment including but not limited to HVAC, piping and plumbing.
Your Key Responsibilities
- With direction from a project manager and/or Professional Engineer, designs mechanical systems for the built environment.
- Applies mechanical engineering skills and knowledge to produce accurate and timely deliverables.
- Develops and prepares design documentation in written and computer-aided design formats to meet project and client requirements.
- Prepares required calculations to meet project requirements.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of opinions of probable costs.
- Collaborates with project managers, engineers and other team members as part of a coordinated design team.
- Develops efficient and accurate solutions to design problems.
- Communicates with manufacturer reps and contractors to address challenges and develop practical designs.
- Provides contract documents that meet required codes and quality assurance standards.
- Understands and works within project budgets and schedules to help project manager meet project financial and schedule goals.
- Expands knowledge of technologies, trends and the markets in which we work as they apply to the applicable project types, and continually strengthens skills.
- Proactively pursues additional knowledge in related disciplines by attending available in house and external training.
- Attends in-house project meetings.
- Actively participates in meetings, initiatives, and projects that support business.
- Mechanical design knowledge for the built environment including but not limited to HVAC, piping, plumbing and device layouts.
- Ability to prepare and review detailed mechanical drawings with supervision.
- Ability to integrate design elements with architectural, civil, structural, ICT, electrical and other disciplines to deliver a coordinated, constructible design.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and standards, including CMC, CPC, CFC, CBC, NFPA, and ASHRAE, as well as LEED and green building requirements
- Ability to apply logic, reasoning, and organizational skills to structure concepts and ideas into deliverables.
- Ability to demonstrate a credible and trustworthy presence through professionalism and demeanor.
- Good oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare and present accurate, professionally written reports and recommendations.
- Professional experience in mechanical design for the healthcare, higher education, and/or science and technology environments preferred.
- Familiarity with various construction delivery processes such as Design Build preferred.
- Familiarity with and ability to apply sustainable design principles within projects preferred.
- Strong proficiency with CAD and Building Information Modeling (BIM) software; in particular, AutoCAD, MEP, and Revit MEP.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Bluebeam.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field plus 2-5 years of relevant experience; or 10+ years of relevant experience if degreed in unrelated field. LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us.
Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top