Project Designer, Mechanical
Your Opportunity: We put the engine in buildings engineering. Intelligent design. Innovative execution. These are the elements of buildings engineering that rev us up. With decades of experience under our belts, we're achieving remarkable results with our work in building technologies, energy, and environmental performance. Our team of interdisciplinary engineers works collaboratively with clients to design buildings and processes that are on track for safety, performance, and sustainability.
Join a dynamic team that balances competing project interests with creativity and efficiency for a smooth ride every time. Together, we can accelerate towards a brighter future.
We are looking for a skilled Project Designer, Mechanical to join our growing team.
Your Duties: The Project Designer, Mechanical draws on strong buildings engineering skills and industry experience to consistently produce project deliverables that meet project requirements and project manager and client expectations. Work consists of advanced mechanical design for the built environment including but not limited to HVAC, piping, and plumbing and the use of digital practice technology such as Revit as well as mechanical engineering specific computer applications.
The successful candidate:
- Designs mechanical systems for the built environment, with limited direction from a project manager and/or Professional Engineer,
- Applies strong mechanical engineering skills and knowledge to produce accurate and timely deliverables.
- Develops and prepares design documentation in written and computer-aided design formats to meet project and client requirements.
- Prepares required calculations to meet project requirements.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of opinions of probable costs.
- Shares knowledge with more junior designers by serving as a trainer and resource.
- Collaborates with project managers, engineers and other team members as part of a coordinated design team.
- Effectively delegates work to production support staff.
- Develops efficient and accurate solutions to design problems.
- Researches, prepares, and presents coordinated design options.
- Reviews drawings and researches code issues to comply with national, city, state, and county regulations.
- Often interacts with clients and project stakeholders.
- Communicates with manufacturers and contractors to address challenges and develop practical designs.
- Provides input on the creation and editing of technical specifications.
- Develops and prepares contract documents that meet required codes and quality assurance standards.
- Resolves design conflicts and questions and provides recommendations to address issues and add value.
- Understands and works within project budgets and schedules to help project manager meet project financial and schedule goals.
- Provides construction administration support such as reviewing contractor RFI's, issuing field directives, performs construction observation and punch lists, reviews contractor change requests.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field and 2-5 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. EIT preferred.
- Strong mechanical design knowledge for the built environment including but not limited to HVAC, piping, and plumbing.
- Ability to prepare and review detailed mechanical drawings with minimal supervision.
- Ability to integrate design elements with architectural, civil, structural, ICT, electrical and other disciplines to deliver a coordinated, constructible design.
- Strong knowledge of applicable codes and standards, including IMC, UMC, IPC, NFPA, IBC, and ASHRAE, as well as LEED and green building requirements.
- Knowledge of specialty engineering applications.
- Ability to apply logic, reasoning, and organizational skills to structure concepts and ideas into deliverables.
- Ability to demonstrate a credible and trustworthy presence through professionalism and demeanor.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare and present accurate, professionally written reports and recommendations.
- Working knowledge of Building Information Modeling (BIM) software; in particular Revit MEP.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Professional experience in mechanical design for the healthcare, higher education, military and/or life science environments.
- Familiarity with various construction delivery processes such as Design Assist and Design Build.
- Familiarity with and ability to apply sustainable design principles within projects.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top