Project Designer, Information, Communications & Technology Consultant
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Your Opportunity The Project Designer, ICT Consulting applies technical skills and knowledge to manage key project deliverables that meet project requirements and project manager and client expectations. Work consists of the design of structured cabling, network systems, wireless, access control, CCTV, CATV, nurse call, and audiovisual systems and other technology systems.
This role is designed to provide you with learning and application of professional concepts along with the opportunity to develop your skills.
Your Key Responsibilities Project Involvement - approximately 95-96% of time
- Designs technology systems for the built environment, including pathway drawings, low voltage device and telecommunications outlet plan drawings, systems single line drawings and technical specifications. Technology systems include but are not limited to:
- Structured Cable Systems
- Electronic Security Systems
- Nurse Call Systems
- Paging Systems
- CATV Systems
- Wireless Systems
- Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS)
- Data Network Systems
- Telephony Systems
- Applies basic technical skills and design documentation processes to produce accurate and timely deliverables.
- Handles design development and document preparation in written and computer-aided design formats.
- Collaborates with project managers as part of a coordinated design team.
- Effectively delegates work to production support staff as needed.
- Under the direction of the project manager, supports project requirements including opinions-of-probable-costs estimates, drawing documentation and systems design.
- Develops efficient and accurate solutions to design problems.
- Researches, prepares, and presents coordinated design options.
- Reviews drawings and researches code and standard issues to comply with city, state, county and federal regulations.
- Communicates with manufacturers and contractors to address challenges and develop practical designs.
- Provides contract documents that meet required codes and quality assurance standards.
- Develops knowledge of technologies, trends and the markets in which we work as they apply to the applicable project types, and continually strengthens skills.
- Proactively pursues additional knowledge in related disciplines by attending available in house and external training.
- Attends in-house project meetings and potentially out of office client meetings.
- Actively participates in meetings, initiatives, and projects that support Business Center and company goals.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Familiarity with network, wireless, access control, CCTV, CATV, nurse call and audiovisual design considerations.
- Ability to prepare detailed design drawings with supervision.
- Ability to integrate design elements with architectural, civil, structural, electrical, mechanical and other disciplines to deliver a coordinated design.
- Basic knowledge of applicable codes and standards including ANSI/TIA and BICSI best practices.
- Ability to apply logic, reasoning, and organizational skills to structure concepts and ideas into deliverables.
- Ability to demonstrate a credible and trustworthy presence through professionalism and demeanor.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare and present accurate, professionally written reports and recommendations.
- Familiarity with Building Information Modeling (BIM) software; in particular, AutoCAD MEP and Revit MEP.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Bachelor's degree in related field (Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, etc.) and 5+ years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- RCDD Certification strongly desired. In addition DCDC, OSP, CTS and other technology certifications are advantages.
This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available.
The staff member is frequently required to visit and navigate existing facilities and construction sites, which often requires the ability to walk and climb. The staff member must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top