Project Designer, Electrical
- Lynnwood, WA
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
You will work with direct supervision and general direction on tasks and smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a Senior Engineer/Designer. You will assist in evaluating, selecting, specifying, and engineering certain electrical power and lighting systems or products for a project verifying compliance with applicable codes and internal engineering standards / practices. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include Revit design, calculations, and field work. The smaller projects that an Electrical Designer may be assigned to will have routine and complex features.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Applies technical expertise while leading cross-functional resources to meet project requirements within established timeframes and budget.
- Serves as a trainer, mentor, and resource to others.
- Holds project team members accountable for deliverables and financial performance.
- Nurtures existing client relationships and proactively pursues opportunities for new business.
- Provides client consultation; drawing on professional expertise and knowledge of Stantec's services.
- Develops and delivers client presentations.
- Maintains current knowledge of technologies and trends, as they apply to the applicable project and market types, and continually strengthen skills.
- Assists in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in the development of three-dimensional models of building electrical systems.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various project phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details.
- Coordinates with other building disciplines (architectural, structural, mechanical, civil, etc.) to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Assists in the review of shop drawings and submittals, responds to RFIs, prepares site observation reports, and performs other contract administration tasks.
- Assists with the development of job specific discipline specifications.
- Assists in the evaluation and selection of building electrical systems and materials.
- Attends project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants.
- Participates in value engineering and basic cost estimating.
- Implements sustainable design principles into the building design and surrounding environment.
- Performs calculations of building elements and well-defined electrical systems using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience in the construction industry and/or in-depth knowledge of construction processes.
- Ability to manage clients, projects, fees, and teams to achieve budget, schedule, and deliverable objectives.
- Ability to integrate design elements with other disciplines.
- Strong knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Deep understanding and knowledge of power distribution systems, lighting systems, and low voltage systems for the built environment.
- Strong knowledge of airport, industrial, healthcare, or commercial market sectors including architects, engineers, contractors, and facility managers operating within these markets.
- Ability to apply sustainable design principles within projects.
- Strong client communication and interpersonal skills.
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions.
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to take direction, follow process, and accept feedback and suggestions from Senior Engineers.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, building program and other similar material.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD; Prefer experience with AGI 32, SKM, Newforma.
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering or related field. 1-3 years of experience in the buildings industry. Working toward PE license, preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Designer
Primary Location: United States-Washington-Lynnwood
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 200000W9
Back to top