Project Controls Specialist
At Stantec, we approach every mining project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or international level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the mining lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with technical excellence, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
We are seeking a Project Controls Specialist to reside in our Tempe, Arizona office. This role will support accurate cost control and schedule information, including but not limited to performance data, cost forecasts, and forward-looking advice to Project Management in order to support the objectives of each project.
The Project Controls Specialist will report to the Supervisor, Project Controls in the US Mining Business Center. This Specialist will also have a reporting relationship with the Manager of Project Controls, and Project Manager(s) when assigned to projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
The Project Controls Specialist must have good business awareness and acumen. They need to possess a competent understanding of Project Management Fundamentals and have a firm understanding of the relationship between project scope, costs, and schedule.
The core competencies for this position include:
- Excellent communication skills: verbal, business writing, electronic communications and presentations
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and work well with others to achieve group results
- Ability to work on several projects or tasks during any given day on a consistent basis
- Must be able to manage time, be organized, and set priorities
- Business awareness and acumen: sound knowledge of project costs, time and resource availability
- Possess strong problem solving skills and ability to make timely decisions
- Positive attitude with strong relationship building skills
The key responsibilities for this position include:
- Implement established project control processes and procedures for project execution, including, but not limited to, earned value management, and management of change
- Support development of the Project Execution Plan, Construction Execution Plan and the Project Control Plan, and liaising with the Project Management Team and Client to establish an approved project control and reporting methodology at the beginning of a project
- Support the preparation of baseline and controls budgets and resource load schedule in conjunction with both Engineering and Construction Management Team Members when required
- Ensure cost and schedule alignment
- Liaising with clients, if required, to clarify cost and schedule related issues while ensuring adherence to recommended best practices
- Support the development of WBS with project team
- Understand critical path
- Understand schedule slippages and help propose mitigation strategies if required
- Understand resource management
- Monitor and control by measuring against schedule baseline and control budget through progressing and forecasting
- Understand Cost and Schedule variances
- Understand Cost and Schedule Trend (CPI/SPI)
- Be accountable and drive quality by providing accurate reports within the timelines set out for the project
- Assist with establishing and applying Rules of Credit with the Project Team that will determine progress, calculate earned value, cost and schedule performance indices and forecast-to-complete
- Ensure accurate and timely issuance of invoices
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- 5+ years of experience in performing cost management and other project controls functions.
- Knowledge in project control fundamentals with analytical skills and understanding in financial analysis, schedule analysis, modeling and budgeting methodologies.
- Advanced MS Office skills, proficient in Excel.
- Experience with ERP and other Financial/Cost systems (Oracle, Prolog, etc.) an asset.
- Experience with Primavera an asset
- PMP designation an asset
- Must be a team player and able to work with a variety of personalities
- Versatility, flexibility, and willingness to work within frequently changing priorities.
- Must be willing and able to take initiative when needed.
- Flexibility to learn new skills.
- Ability to perform in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top