Project Controls Specialist
Your Opportunity: Projects, when successfully delivered, can strengthen client organizations and the communities they serve. By managing capital programs and projects as if they were our own, our business, technical, and project management experts work with clients to strategize, plan, and implement projects that help them achieve their organization's objectives-without surprises. We've managed thousands of projects across all sectors, including buildings like hospitals, airports, and entire university campuses; infrastructure like mass transit and water treatment facilities; and energy and resource assignments like mines and wind farms. Join a team of program and project management specialists that's passionate about achieving predictable project outcomes for clients and communities.
Your Duties: Stantec is seeking a Project Controls Specialist with a strong background in the core project controls functions of Design Management and Capital Project & Program Management. In the capacity of Project Controls Specialist you will be a key point of contact with numerous stakeholders, internal and external to the project. You will be responsible for the provision of all aspects of project controls functions outlined below.
Project Controls Specialist Job Description
- Experience is required in the management of project and/or program budget and cost control functions including budgeting, commitment management, change management, estimating, forecasting, and earned value management
- Thorough understanding of project accounting and accrual collection
- Experience in CPM Scheduling including resource/cost loading within Oracle Primavera P6
- Solid understanding of principles and methods related to Earned Value Management
- Ability to functionally coordinate with both internal and external business processes and to blend the requirements of both
- Ability to present technical information to executive level staff
- Experience utilizing various industry standard Project Management Information Systems (E-Builder, Oracle Unifier, PM Web, Prolog, etc.)
- Superior computer skills in the Microsoft Office Suite (specifically desired: expertise in MS Excel) as well as MS Access. Experience with SQL /Share point Applications is preferred
- Must be detail-oriented with exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
As a self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision, you will be required to:
- Develop project/program enterprise structures, i.e: Work Breakdown Structures, and Cost Breakdown Structures
- Perform and manage all budget and cost control functions
- Prepare, update, and maintain integrated project/program schedules for engineering/design, procurement, construction, and commissioning/closeout
- Prepare, update, and maintain cash flow, and earned value studies
- Prepare month-end reports, variance reports, and ad hoc reports as required
- Perform analytics and interpret project/program data for continuous improvement
- Perform monthly audits of project schedule and financial information
- Perform financial reconciliations
- Train, manage, or mentor others
- Administrate the use of Project Management Information Systems in the areas such as budget/cost control, document control, reporting. Technical ability is desired to act as a "super user, including user administration, security and permissions management, user training, and custom reporting queries.
- Perform thorough QA/QC on all deliverables
- Travel, when required
Your Capabilities and Credentials: Relevant technical college graduate or engineering degree with 10+ years of experience in project/program controls and project management; experience working in a consulting engineering environment (EPCM), Capital Project/Program Management environment, or Construction Contracting environment; on-site construction experience, previous experience with large construction related projects is preferred.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top