Project Controls Specialist
When it comes to hydropower, dam, navigation and water resource projects, we design with the next generation in mind. We operate with the strength of a $4B company paired with the agility of a specialized waterpower and dams team to deliver iconic and cutting-edge projects around the world. Our team delivers some of the world's most impactful projects-projects vital to both local and global communities. Stantec is seeking a Project Controls Specialist to join the Chicago office and contribute to local and global projects.
The responsibility of the Project Controls Specialist is to support accurate cost control and schedule information, including but not limited to performance data, cost forecasts, and forward-looking advice to Project Management in order to support the objectives of each project. The Project Controls Specialist must have good business awareness and acumen. They need to possess a competent understanding of Project Management Fundamentals. They will also have a good understanding of the relationship between project scope, costs, and schedule.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Implement established project control processes and procedures for project execution, including, but not limited to, earned value management, management of change, delegation of authority, and cash flow projections
- Support development of Project Execution Plan, Construction Execution Plan and the Project Control Plan liaising with the Project Management Team and Client to establish an approved project control and reporting methodology at the beginning of a project
- Support the preparation of baseline and controls budgets and resource load schedule in conjunction with both Engineering and Construction Management Team Members when required
- Ensure cost and schedule alignment
- Liaising with clients, if required, to clarify cost and schedule related issues while ensuring adherence to recommended best practices
- Support the development of WBS with project team
- Understand critical path
- Understand schedule slippages and help propose mitigation strategies if required
- Understand resource management
- Monitor and control by measuring against schedule baseline and control budget through progressing and forecasting
- Understand Cost and Schedule variances
- Understand Cost and Schedule Trend (CPI/SPI)
- Be accountable and drive quality by providing accurate reports within the timelines set out for the project
- Assist with establishing and appling Rules of Credit with the Project Team that will determine progress, calculate earned value, cost and schedule performance indices and forecast to complete
- Review, assess, analyze and report on contractor and sub-consultant progress and performance during engineering, procurement and construction through to the commissioning phase of the project per stakeholder requirements
- Provide input to cost estimate proposals and scope changes throughout Project Phases
- Ensure accurate and timely issuance of invoices
- Support Department Initiatives
Your Credentials and Capabilities
- Excellent communication skills: verbal, business writing, electronic communications and presentations
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and work well with others to achieve group results
- Ability to work on several projects or tasks during any given day on a consistent basis
- Must be able to manage time, be organized, and set priorities
- Business awareness and acumen: sound knowledge of project costs, time and resource availability
- Possess strong problem solving skills and ability to make timely decisions
- Positive attitude with strong relationship building skills
- Ability to handle proprietary and confidential information with appropriate discernment
- Knowledge in project control fundamentals (AACE) with analytical skills and understanding in financial analysis, schedule analysis, modeling and budgeting methodologies.
- Advanced MS Office skills, expert proficiency with MS Excel.
- Experience with Primavera and MS Project required.
- Experience with ERP and other Financial/Cost systems (Oracle, Prolog, etc.) an asset.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required; engineering or related discipline preferred.
- 8 years of experience in performing cost management, scheduling and other project controls functions over engineering, procurement, and construction for large capital projects.
- AACE designation an asset.
- PMP designation an asset.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Project Controls Professional
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002HH
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top