Project Controls Specialist
We're in the business of limitless potential. From iconic designs to monumental ground breakings, we believe the best solutions are the product of diverse perspectives.
By managing capital programs and projects as if they were our own, our project management business, and technical experts work with clients to strategize, plan, and implement projects that help them achieve their organization's objectives. Our award-winning team has managed thousands of projects across all sectors - hospitals, airports, and entire university campuses; infrastructure like mass transit and water-treatment facilities; and energy and resource assignments, from mines to wind farms.
Join an award-winning team of program and project management specialists that are passionate to bring transformational project solutions to life.
Stantec is seeking a Project Controls Specialist to be based in Laurel, MD, Washington DC, or Arlington, VA.
As a Project Controls Specialist, you have a strong background in the core project controls functions of Design Management and Capital Project & Program Management. In this Project Controls Specialist role you will be a key point of contact with numerous stakeholders, internal and external to the project. You will be responsible for the provision of all aspects of project controls functions outlined below.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Develop project/program enterprise structures, i.e: Work Breakdown Structures, and Cost Breakdown Structures
- Perform and manage all budget and cost control functions
- Prepare, update, and maintain integrated project/program schedules for engineering/design, procurement, construction, and commissioning/closeout
- Prepare, update, and maintain cash flow, and earned value studies
- Prepare month-end reports, variance reports, and ad hoc reports as required
- Perform analytics and interpret project/program data for continuous improvement
- Perform monthly audits of project schedule and financial information
- Perform financial reconciliations
- Train, manage, or mentor others
- Administrate the use of Project Management Information Systems in the areas such as budget/cost control, document control, reporting. Technical ability is desired to act as a "super user, including user administration, security and permissions management, user training, and custom reporting queries.
- Perform thorough QA/QC on all deliverables
- Travel, when required
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience working in a consulting engineering environment (EPCM), Capital Project/Program Management environment, or Construction Contracting environment
- Experience is required in the management of project and/or program budget and cost control functions including budgeting, commitment management, change management, estimating, forecasting, and earned value management
- Thorough understanding of project accounting and accrual collection
- Experience in CPM Scheduling including resource/cost loading within Oracle Primavera P6
- Solid understanding of principles and methods related to Earned Value Management
- Ability to functionally coordinate with both internal and external business processes and to blend the requirements of both
- Ability to present technical information to executive level staff
- Experience utilizing various industry standard Project Management Information Systems (E-Builder, Oracle Unifier, PM Web, Prolog, etc.)
- Superior computer skills in the Microsoft Office Suite (specifically desired: expertise in MS Excel) as well as MS Access.
- Must be detail-oriented with exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Previous experience with large construction related projects
- On-site construction experience
- Experience with SQL /Share point Applications
Education and Experience
Bachelors of Science in an Engineering discipline or other relevant technical field
5 years of experience in project/program controls and project management
Preferred: 5-15 years of experience in project/program controls and project management
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Project Controls Professional
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-Laurel
Other Locations: United States-Virginia-Arlington, United States-District Of Columbia-Washington
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Req ID: 190000R3
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top