Project Biologist - ( 20000254 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
You will support program research, planning and development, permitting, compliance monitoring, surveys, inspections/ enforcement, and technical support services in relation to biological resources, botany, and restoration. You will also assist project teams and senior level staff with writing reports, work as part of a team to develop plans and implement steps to move projects toward closure in the most cost-effective manner.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide desktop support (e.g. database searches and literature review), to the project team during the development, management, and coordination of the natural environment component of projects and programs for renewable energy, oil and gas, and other development projects.
- Assist with field work such as rare plant surveys, restoration program management, monitoring and assessment, breeding bird surveys, vegetation community assessments, wetland delineation and classification, special-status species surveys, and construction monitoring, including the preparation of parts or all associated reporting.
- Provide botanical expertise including common and rare plant identification.
- Provide input to field teams and guide more junior level staff to effectively and appropriately complete tasks.
- Assist with the Planning, preparation, and review of technical reports, (e.g. survey reports, biological resources technical reports, jurisdictional delineation reports, monitoring reports, etc.) or portions of larger environmental assessments.
- Assist business development teams to respond to Requests for Proposals including defining the scope of work, associated cost and compiling relevant sections of proposal documents.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of existing and emerging regulatory requirements, wildlife and vegetation assessment methodologies and best practices.
- Travel may be required within and outside of southern California.
- Develop a working understanding of Stantec's other consulting practice areas and actively support cross-selling other services to existing clients.
- Maintain an 85-90% direct project utilization goal.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient in technical writing.
- Possess skills in communications and technical information exchange with clients, engineers and scientists, government regulators and agencies, and academia.
- This role requires effective in person, tele/video conference, and written communication with team members. The Project Level professional is commonly expected to assist with planning and documenting such communications.
- Builds and maintains productive professional and personal networking relationships.
- Drives collaborative efforts within the Business Center and beyond to deliver consistent, high quality and appropriately scoped technical work related to your specialty.
- At least 2-5 years of biological monitoring, restoration, survey, and reporting, or Natural resource permitting experience.
- Highly proficient with MS Office suite (e.g., Microsoft Word, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Project, Adobe Acrobat, Excel).
- Knowledge and familiarity with field implementation, data gathering and collection using GPS and GIS tools.
- Must have a good driving record and valid Driver's License.
- Prior to employment with Stantec, this position will require the successful passing of a physical exam and drug screen.
- OSHA HAZWOPER 40 certification required or ability to obtain prior to employment.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Biology, Botany, or related field. Minimum 2-5 years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education (e.g., advanced degree) and experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Ability to effectively work from home office independently through potential COVID-19 work restrictions. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to drive a 4-wheel drive vehicle on un-paved roads or trails. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : United States-California-Bakersfield
Job : Biologist
Organization : BC-1858 Environmental Services-US Pacific
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 25, 2021, 4:11:02 PM
Req ID: 20000254
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans