The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Your Opportunity The Arlington, Virginia studio of Stantec Architecture, a national leader in educational thought, design, and practice, is seeking an experienced Project Architect to work with local and regional leadership to design and craft great projects, grow the practice, and have a positive and profound impact on the communities we serve.
Your Key Responsibilities A Project Architect at Stantec is a licensed professional chiefly responsible for design excellence, technical quality, and project delivery and thoughtful execution. Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate mastery of these compulsories while at the same time having a passion for mentoring the next generation of architects, leveraging design to enhance teaching and learning, instilling a sustainable mindset, and growing business through presentations, interviews, and cultivation of client relationships.
In addition, Project Architects at Stantec are responsible for:
- Design and creation of appropriate building systems, selection and integration of project materials, and production of elegant, thoughtful details to faithfully execute the design;
- Collaborating with Project Managers to prepare internal project budgets, schedules, and work plans
- Directing and coordinating internal team of planners; architects-in-training; interior designers; architects; engineers; and specialists to ensure faithful adherence to design intent, budget, schedule, and agreed-upon work plan;
- Integrating the work of an external team of consulting planners; designers, engineers, and analysts to successfully coordinate all building systems
- Leading project coordination meetings with team members, contractors, and owners
- Analyzing, interpreting, and applying applicable codes, regulations, and requirements;
- Utilizing REVIT to model and document projects at all phases (conceptual design through construction documentation) in all areas of the work (site plans, floor plans, elevations, sections, details, schedules, etc.);
- Providing project leadership for adherence to design best practices including, importantly, principles of sustainable design;
- Participating in and being accountable for the preparation of project specifications;
- Completing constructability reviews and assuring/controlling the quality of project/contract documents;
- Providing basic construction cost estimating and value analysis
- Participate in the bidding and negotiations phase and preparing addenda as required;
- Participation during the construction phase in order to maintain adherence to the design intent, quality standards, and contract documents including reviewing shop drawings and submittals, responding to requests for information, preparing observation reports, and completing other tasks associated with the construction phase;
- Mentoring junior staff to increase planning, design, and documentation capacity in them and the studio;
- Growing studio's base of knowledge by sharing expertise through presentations to the studio and region; and
- Participating in the winning of new projects including collaborating with others to develop capture strategies, writing proposal collateral (e.g. description of quality assurance measures), interviewing with clients, and developing client relationships by participating in development meetings with clients, participating in client conferences, etc.
Education and Experience
- P rofessionally accredited bachelor's degree in architecture;
- Architectural licensure; and
- Ability to meet NCARB requirements for licensure in other states.
- LEED AP preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top