Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that works behind the scenes to support operational excellence. Our functional services teams (FSTs) provide services to 22,000 employees in over 400 locations worldwide. Bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds, talents, and expertise, our FSTs are vital to making our Company stronger. Explore opportunities in Financial Services.
Take the first step towards designing your career with Stantec. We have an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as a Project Accountant. In this position you will be responsible for the overall management of contracts throughout the project lifecycle by ensuring projects are set up, maintained, and invoiced in accordance with the contract requirements and with Stantec's approved policies and practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Work completed by a Project Accountant is supervised by a Project Accounting Lead or Financial Manager, with support and guidance provided as required. Projects assigned tend to be smaller and/or less complex in nature.
- A significant percentage of time will be spent working with PMs to generate client invoices, ensuring invoice accuracy.
- Complete project set-up based on a review of the client contract and utilizing information provided by the Project Manager ("PM") or PM assistant, ensuring all project attributes and variables have been properly input in accordance with the contract requirements.
- Review contract agreements for proper fiscal authority execution, special invoicing requirements and ensuring all required information is provided to the client during the invoicing cycle as well as for variable revenue, liquidated damages or unusual contract terms and to be escalated to ensure proper revenue recognition.
- Serve as a partner to PMs, including assisting with functions as requested such as tracking of subcontractors, preparing progress reports, supporting client audits, Adhoc financial analysis, adjusting budgets ensuring project budget accuracy, writing off or transferring work in progress ("WIP"), monitoring accounts receivable aging and supporting collection of invoices, etc.
- Monthly review of budget fees to ensure the accuracy of WIP and deferred revenue on assigned projects.
- Ensure project close out procedures are completed on a timely basis.
- Support internal and external audits by preparing audit support packages.
- Ensure all assigned functions are carried out in compliance with approved policies, key controls and practices and procedures.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- General accounting knowledge obtained through experience or education
- Microsoft Excel skills are preferred
- Basic understanding of IFRS 15 and Sarbanes Oxley concepts is preferred
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to develop solid working relationships
- Solid knowledge of general contracting practices preferred
- Begin to have the ability to organize work flow to allow time to proactively be looking ahead to what financial events might affect the project if action is not taken
Education and Experience
High School Diploma with a minimum of 2-3 years of related work experience required; or equivalent combination of post-secondary education in a related field and experience.
This position will primarily work in an office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Finance Project Administration
Primary Location: United States-Arizona-Chandler
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Req ID: 190000PY
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top