Principal Wastewater Treatment Engineer
- Pasadena, CA
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Stantec Water is seeking qualified candidates for a Principal Wastewater Treatment Engineer to join our growing practice in the Southern California Region. This consulting engineering role will serve as senior technical leadership on projects and within our Global Wastewater Technology Practice. It will require application of technical skills, project delivery, and leadership to a complex array of multi-disciplinary planning, design and construction projects for municipal wastewater systems including process engineering, treatment facilities planning and design, and related infrastructure. The selected candidate will need to be self-directed, capable of leading and supervising complex teams, eager to mentor staff, and should demonstrate a passion for involvement in the wastewater industry and an enthusiasm to help develop the practice. The candidate is expected to partner with business development personnel to position and shape projects as well as develop technical approaches for proposals and present technical information to clients in interviews. Although this position will be focused on winning and delivering work in the state of California, there will be opportunities to work throughout North America and abroad.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Technical Support for Project Execution & Delivery: The Principal Wastewater Treatment Engineer will provide technical support to Regional Delivery Leaders and engage as needed in executing and delivering projects within the region. The scope of this execution work will vary by project, but the focus will be on process engineering (SBR, MBR, MBBR, trickling filters and conventional activated sludge process, filtration), promotion of best practices and standards for process design and major process mechanical systems, and QA/QC for design criteria.
- Mentoring of Professional Staff: The Principal Wastewater Treatment Engineer will engage in active mentorship of peers and young professionals who desire guidance on career development objectives. This mentoring can take any number of forms, including guidance on preparation and delivery of presentations, papers, workshops, etc., client-facing protocols, and continuing education and training.
- Technical Support for Regional Business Development Activities: The Principal Wastewater Treatment Engineer (municipal and industrial treatment) provides technical support to Regional Business Leaders and Regional Sector Leaders in the identification, positioning and pursuit of strategic clients promoting strategic project opportunities. This technical support includes, but may not be limited to: face-to-face client interactions, site visits, technical training for client staff, workshop presentations on treatment technology, planning, regulatory frameworks, etc. The focus of this aspect of the work description is the "top-of-the-funnel" project opportunities. This role also provides technical support to Market Sector Leads (or Client Service Managers) within the respective region of coverage for specific Business Development activities associated with proposal development and interview preparation and delivery, with the primary intent of winning specific project work. This support can take the form of writing technical approaches for proposals, developing slide decks for the technical aspects of competitive interviews and developing work-breakdown structures for project delivery schemes.
- Corporate Branding: The Principal Wastewater Treatment Engineer will engage in active membership in state, regional and national professional associations including, Water Environment Federation, International Water Association, Water Reuse Association, California Water Environment Association, the California Association of Sanitation Agencies, and others as appropriate. This engagement entails the delivery of papers, presentations, workshops and webinars at conferences and symposia, participation in technical training workshops and seminars, and involvement in committee leadership as appropriate.
- Technical experience to include the following:
- Technical leadership on wastewater projects,
- Wastewater treatment: primary, secondary, tertiary and biosolids processes,
- Advanced wastewater treatment processes including membrane filtration and membrane bioreactors, side stream nutrient removal, and emerging technologies as applicable,
- Wastewater treatment plant facility, and/or wastewater collection system master planning,
- Wastewater process modeling using BioWin™ or other modeling platforms,
- Odor control and residuals handling processes, and
- Industrial wastewater treatment.
- Interact with clients, local and remote Stantec staff, permitting agencies and other consulting firms in the execution of engineering projects.
- Gather information, develop and evaluate alternatives, and prepare engineering reports.
- Perform engineering analyses, modeling, and calculations and prepare detailed design drawings and specifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Advanced proficiency with Office software including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Advanced level of proficiency with applications of commercial computer wastewater process simulation software packages including, but not limited to, Biowin and/or GPS-X
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication including public speaking experience and negotiating skills.
- Valid California Professional Engineering license, or ability to obtain one within 1 year of employment, is required.
- Strong interpersonal abilities for working in diverse team environments with staff, clients, and stakeholders.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in civil, environmental, or chemical engineering.
- MS and PhD in related fields preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Pasadena
Other Locations: United States-California-Irvine
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 2000001T
Back to top