Principal, Senior Geotechnical Engineer
At Stantec, we approach every mining project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or international level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the mining lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with technical excellence, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Stantec is seeking a Senior Principal Geotechnical Engineer to join our global mining practice as a leader in our Denver, Colorado office. This position will work collaboratively with the Global Mining Business Line, to support the service needs of our clients on local and international projects. The focus of the position will be to engage our highly skilled team of engineers and scientists in the technical execution of planning and design of Waste Storage Facilities (WSF), Tailing Storage Facilities (TSF) and Water Management Facilities in support of mining activity spanning from aggregates to precious metals.
In the role you will develop, maintain and enhance Stantec's market profile, position and brand imaging as it relates to civil/geotechnical engineering through our global strategic plan. You will play a key role in managing the risk exposure for Stantec and our clients in the global market place.
Your Key Responsibilities
The Senior Principal Geotechnical Engineer must have a strong technical background in geotechnical and civil engineering with knowledge of design, construction and closure practices for mining facilities, particularly tailing and waste storage facilities, in a variety of climatic and seismic regions of the world.
This position will engage several key technical practice disciplines beyond engineering. These include but are not limited to geology, hydrogeology, environmental practices/permitting, rock mechanics, water management, process design and pumping/piping of tailing slurry. The role will encounter varying degrees of technical oversight by clients and/or regulatory agencies.
As a leader in the Stantec organization it is expected that the Senior Principal Geotechnical Engineer will have a good business awareness and acumen. The person will need to possess a competent understanding of project/program management fundamentals and have a firm understanding of the relationship between technical delivery, project scope, costs, and schedule.
- Have a clear understanding of the current and future market and business conditions, revenue and profit potential, major clients and competitors in our active mining markets
- Assist in developing and then implementing regional, country, and client marketing strategies to enable optimum market penetration of the sector in selected geographies
- Identify the skill and expertise gaps to meet the current and future market opportunities and support suitable recruitment or development actions within the Mining Business Line leadership to address them
- Assist in the recruitment of high caliber engineers and scientists to our Global Mining Practice
- Participate in conferences, seminars, interact with the media, public, and represent Stantec in social, community, and business situations
- Complete work in line with Stantec Core Values and in accordance with the Stantec Quality, Safety & Environment Systems and Project Quality Procedures
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Excellent communication skills: verbal, business writing, electronic communications and presentations
- Understanding of mining operations and mine waste management, geotechnical material characterization (particularly mined materials), slope stability, deformation analyses, liquefaction potential, seismic hazard assessments, seepage and foundation characteristics of dams/tailing storage facilities.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and work well with others to achieve group results
- Ability to lead several projects or tasks with a sound understanding of overall goals, objectives and costs to our clients
- Possess strong problem-solving skills and ability to make timely decisions or lead and develop others to do so
- Provide technical, safety and logistical leadership to project teams throughout the completion of programs in various stages of development
- Registered Professional Engineer with ability to obtain reciprocity to targeted states engaged in mining activities within
- Membership of professional bodies related to geotechnical engineering, tailing/water dams, and international mining
Education and Experience
Relevant tertiary qualification, preferably post-graduate
20 years of experience as a geotechnical engineer with strong experience in tailing/water dams
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us; Designing with Community in Mind.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Colorado-Denver
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190000LE
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top