Principal, Mechanical Engineering
Your Opportunity: Join a dynamic team that balances competing project interests with creativity and efficiency for a smooth ride every time. Together, we can accelerate towards a brighter future.
The Principal brings deep Mechanical Engineering experience and relationships in the A/E industry to contribute to the overall strategic and tactical leadership of the Stantec BC 2045 Mechanical Engineering discipline, building and leading the Mechanical Engineering practice in the Pacific Northwest. This position will lead strategic projects, be client facing, responsible for business development, contribute to project delivery standards and work processes, provide quality control, workload forecasting, financial performance accountability and collaboration with other disciplines. The Principal contributes to differentiating Stantec from other competing firms and positions Stantec as innovators in the industry.
Your Duties: The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Be the primary contributor to building Stantec's Mechanical Engineering practice in Southern California.
- Develop strategic and tactical business development and marketing plans for the Mechanical Engineering practice and align with Business Center and regional Buildings group goals and strategies and brand position priorities.
- Sustain and grow top line revenue helping to achieve growth objectives in the Southern California and work collaboratively with the Regional Business Leader, Business Center Managing Leader and other Mechanical Engineering leads in US West to achieve key operational performance metrics.
- Develop and maintain industry relationships and visibility with current and prospective clients, sub-consultants, and partner firms in the local and regional A/E industry.
- Assist with the development of the annual business plan and budget for the business center and working with the leadership team to achieve key performance indicators.
- Develop presentation materials and present to clients and at strategic industry events.
- Represent the firm through published articles, public speaking engagements and attendance at industry and community events, meetings, and conferences.
- Develop project proposals.
- Assist the marketing department with the development of mechanical engineering marketing materials and content.
- Hire and lead a team consisting of HVAC and Plumbing project managers, designers, and CAD/Revit production staff.
- In collaboration with BC leadership and other discipline leaders and Principals, develop annual budgets for sales, topline revenue, training, utilization and project performance for the BC 2048 Mechanical Engineering group.
- In conjunction with others stakeholders, identify and forecast staff needs and assignments based on current and projected workload and SME requirements.
- Hold project team members accountable for delivery standards and best practices.
- Responsible for managing the financial performance, quality control processes, and project delivery for Mechanical Engineering projects.
- Ensure compliance with best practices, including Stantec PM Frameworks
- Work with PM's and SME's on key projects to develop and deliver client drawings, specifications, presentations, reports, and other deliverables.
- Successfully manage projects of significant scope, complexity and revenue budget.
- Apply buildings engineering and project management knowledge while leading cross-functional resources to meet project requirements within established timeframes and budgets.
- Meet technical, contractual, schedule, budgetary and client service objectives for projects.
- Apply strong engineering skills, experience and knowledge to the design and oversight of the design for building projects.
- Manage and plan the production resources and workflow to produce the design documentation, drawings, and calculations required for engineering projects.
- Act as a QC reviewer on Mechanical Engineering projects
- Maintain awareness of operational, technical or regulatory changes within Mechanical Engineering and AEC overall, disseminate such knowledge to staff and firm, and integrate into existing processes and standards.
- Maintain and update Mechanical Engineering specifications, technical documentation and standards in collaboration with other Sr. Mechanical technical resources in Stantec.
- Oversee mechanical Engineering Design delivery process and best practices and coordinate with other disciplines.
- Provide oversight for Mechanical Engineering staff's education and certification process & balance firm, studio and staff needs.
Learning/Maintaining and Expanding Technical and Managerial Skills:
- Maintain current knowledge of technologies and trends impacting Stantec's core service offerings and markets and continually strengthens skills.
Your Capabilities and Credentials: Experience, Education, and Certification:
- Bachelors' degree in Mechanical Engineering plus 15+ years related professional experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience and/or demonstrated skills.
- Experience successfully delivering Mechanical Engineering consulting to Architects and Owners in diverse markets including healthcare, commercial, data center, higher education, life sciences, civic and government.
- PE license required.
- LEED professional certification required.
- Training and professional experience in project management.
- Client consulting experience in a consulting engineering environment.
- Proven track record of hiring, developing, managing, and retaining top talent.
- Auxiliary Qualifications:
- Qualifications listed below, while not necessarily a requirement for this position in each circumstance, provide additional depth and value to the role.
- LEED certification.
- 5-10 years of OSHPD experience.
- Successful history of collaboration and teaming with contractors on Design-Build projects.
- This position is located in either Stantec's Van Nuys, CA office. It requires a frequent presence in other offices, at project sites, and at meetings.
- Frequent travel is required. Travel scope may include local, regional, national or international based on the contracted requirements. To meet this requirement, a valid driver's license and a clean driving record is necessary for this position.
- This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top