Principal Mechanical Engineer
The Irvine, California office of MWH, now part of Stantec, is seeking qualified candidates for a Principal Engineer. This candidate will lead and manage multi-discipline teams of up to 50 professional staff members in projects related to the planning, design and management of water and wastewater systems including large wastewater treatment facilities, pipelines, and pump stations. The role will require extensive client contact and the ability to deliver projects on-time, to agreed quality goals and within budget, ensuring success for both MWH and its clients as measured by a variety of project specific metrics.
Responsibilities of this position include the following:
• Provide leadership on large-sized projects in the water and wastewater sectors with capital construction values in excess of $75 million
• Perform detailed planning of projects, oversight of execution of that plan and efficient project close-out. Candidate must have proven competency in project set-up (work breakdown structures; resource-loaded scheduling; and monitoring and reporting of earned value and financial performance); and in risk management and change order management.
• Provide solutions and mentorship for troubled projects
• Create a culture of collaboration by being both an effective team leader and player.
• Manage project teams comprised of an integrated global workforce from MWH's offices as well as subconsultants.
• Clearly and appropriately communicate with project stakeholders including MWH's clients, permitting agencies, MWH's project delivery team and MWH's commercial and operations management teams.
• Develop relationships that lead to long-term business partnerships that extend beyond project completion, while working towards mutual success for our clients and MWH.
• Support efforts and teams in identifying, pursuing and winning new projects with existing clients as well as developing opportunities with new clients.
• Present a thorough understanding of business development activities, including proposal development, contract administration, and client presentations; and experience sufficient to lead proposal efforts.
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering
• 15+ years of experience managing projects, including leading multi-discipline, multi-office engineering design teams.
• Project management experience in the following technical areas:
- Consulting Engineering
- Wastewater Treatment and Conveyance
- Water Treatment and Conveyance
- Odor Control Facilities
- Engineering feasibility analyses and design
- Construction Management and Supervision
• Contract Management experience including management of on-call engineering contracts and management of subcontractors
• Experience in managing remote teams
• Understanding of P&L monthly reporting for a public company
• Client interaction and management in a consulting engineering environment
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking experience
• Strong interpersonal abilities for working in diverse team environments with staff, clients, and stakeholders
At MWH, we believe growing a great engineering, consulting and construction services company happens from the inside out. We look for people who are drawn to use every talent they possess, plus imagination, determination and a drive to do the extraordinary. We believe that building a great career is as important as Building a Better World.
If working on the best water and natural resources projects around the world, building on your talents through a premier knowledge-sharing culture, and connecting across borders with some of the world's top talent appeals to you, join us.
MWH Global…we're looking for opportunities.
MWH is an EEO employer - MWH considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or other basis in accordance with federal, state or local laws or regulations.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top