Principal, Hydraulic Engineer
- Denver, CO
Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. When it comes to hydropower, dams, locks and navigation projects, we design with the next generation in mind. We operate with the strength of a $3B company paired with the agility of a specialized power and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world's most impactful waterpower and dam projects - projects vital to both local and global communities.
As a Principal Hydraulic Engineer you will join our multi-disciplinary Power & Dams team that provides engineering services on small to large-sized domestic and international hydroelectric and dam, installation and refurbishment projects, with the objective of meeting the defined contractual scope, schedule and budget to the relevant codes, standards and company procedures.
- Acting as a key technical hydraulic resource providing technical direction on and/or senior review of projects and proposals and collaboration with staff and managers in other BC offices.
- Meet scope, schedule, budget and quality goals.
- Deliver excellent client service.
- Participate on technical review committees and support technical delivery for Stantec locally and in other offices.
- Developing and maintaining a network of business contacts.
- Participating in or delegation of participation in local professional and/or business associations.
- Providing recommendations on hiring.
- Develop and manage strong relationships with new and existing clients, field personnel, government and regulatory agencies.
- Ensuring appropriate Quality Management System is applied on team's projects.
- Mentoring and/or coaching staff.
- Maintaining an up to date knowledge of existing and emerging opportunities, trends, regulatory requirements and best practices.
- Analyzing and preparing competitive proposals, recommendations and reports for projects relating to hydraulic design.
- Participating in multi-disciplinary project teams, guiding and instructing others.
- Contributing to the development of complex project proposals/cost estimates and participate in the process of securing new business opportunities or expanding the scope of existing projects.
- Providing practical and economic solutions to clients that differentiate the team.
- Ensuring proper implementation and continued use of safety and quality assurance programs and corporate policies and procedures, including Ethics and Compliance.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- A minimum of 15 years of professional engineering experience with minimum 5 years related to hydroelectric facilities
- Masters degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized and accredited institution. A PhD in hydraulics is preferred.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in Colorado. PE registration will be considered an asset.
- Experience in design and hydraulic evaluation of dam appurtenant structures such as spillways (gated and un-gated), inlet and outlet works, hydro-power penstock and water conveyance pipe network.
- Specialist knowledge of transient analysis for pipelines and hydropower penstocks.
- Experience in the supervision and interpretation of CFD modeling.
- Strong analytical, communication and technical writing skills.
- Knowledge of American codes and standards.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Colorado-Denver
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 2000018O
Back to top