Principal Environmental Planner
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
A leadership position that will maximize your strengths and interests in strategic consulting, business development, technical consulting, and project management/delivery of environmental planning, permitting, and compliance projects as follows:
- Working closely with business/client development teams across to support winning and delivering new permitting and compliance opportunities.
- Providing technical expertise during preparation and review of technical analyses and documents, proposals, and/or qualifications information.
- Serving as a mentor to expand staff understanding of business development and project delivery/management.
- Identifying opportunities for junior and mid-level staff that complement their professional development (e.g., participating in "ride-along" client development activities or creating/presenting in brownbag settings)
Examples of potential outcomes from the above:
- Business/Client Account Development Outcome - leveraging existing contract(s), increase account values. For example: increase existing Southern California Edison $500K account into a $1M to 3M multi-discipline account over a period of 3 years.
- Technical Leadership Outcome -
- Actively participate in a recognized professional association - meeting attendance, publication, presentation - to promote Stantec's environmental planning and permitting brand within markets identified by Regional and Sector leaders.
- Project Management/Delivery Outcome - Support and undertake successful management and delivery of environmental documents, including applications, technical studies, NEPA/CEQA documents, mitigation plans, construction specifications, compliance documentations, and restoration/mitigation documentation to grow the company brand and increase opportunities to receive follow-on work.
Stantec is currently seeking a Senior Principal Environmental Planner with an emphasis on the power sector and transportation infrastructure for our Environmental Services Practice in southern California. The location of the position is flexible, but would likely be limited to Stantec's Long Beach, Los Angeles, Irvine, Pasadena, or Thousand Oaks offices. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 15 years of experience successfully managing an environmental services program in the power sector. Candidate must have extensive CEQA/NEPA experience. Strong emphasis will be placed on previous experience with power and transportation agencies, quality of work, ability to manage programs and teams, and ability to facilitate continued growth of Stantec's Transportation Sector and Environmental Services across southern California.
Your Key Responsibilities
Lead, support, and advise diverse environmental teams to successful outcomes using depth of industry experience, communication skills, and project management, business development, and technical expertise. Develop and work on small and large multidisciplinary, geographically distributed, and diverse teams.
Leadership position that will maximize strengths in strategic consulting, business development, technical consulting, and project management/delivery of environmental planning, permitting, and compliance projects and company business aspects, as follows:
- Co-Manage the power sector and transportation infrastructure programs for Stantec's southern California Environmental Services Practice.
- Contribute to the cross-regional and -market strategies for developing and growing environmental permitting, planning, and compliance services.
- Participate and develop on internal and external execution strategies, including staffing (e.g., retention, reward, succession planning), company/client policies and procedures/processes, for planning and permitting projects.
- Work closely with business/client development teams across markets and regions to support winning and delivering new permitting and compliance opportunities.
- Identify, pursue, and win power sector and transit/public works projects in southern California for Southern CA Edison, Federal Highway Administration (Central Federal Highways Division), ENEL, amongst others…
- Develop clients and expand market share in the Power and Transportation Sectors.
- Direct, manage, and/or assist with the preparation of CEQA, NEPA and other environmental compliance documents for a wide range of public and private clients with an emphasis on transportation infrastructure.
- Support and undertake successful management and delivery of environmental documents, including applications, technical studies, NEPA/CEQA documents, mitigation plans, construction specifications, compliance documentations, and restoration/mitigation documentation to grow the company brand and increase opportunities to receive follow-on work.
- Maintain and demonstrate an understanding of emerging regulations and industry requirements.
- Provide technical expertise during preparation and review of technical analyses and documents, proposals, and/or qualifications information.
- Supervise project managers and technical staff.
- Develop and mentor staff's understanding of business development and project delivery/management.
- Develop teaming agreements for project pursuits.
- Prepare proposals, lead interview teams, and bring in work to support the Environmental Services team.
- Bring project schedules, budgets, and scopes of work to successful completion.
- Identify program and project staffing needs.
- Regularly interface with representatives of Stantec's Power Practice (engineering, design and construction management) to facilitate inter-Practice cross selling of services.
- Be a visible regional leader within the firm and the industry.
- Promote a strong health and safety culture.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Public speaking skills are desirable.
- Ability to plan, direct, and monitor all aspects of large, multi-discipline projects, medium-sized projects with a high degree of technical complexity, and small projects with minimal environmental constraints.
- An ability to manage several projects simultaneously is essential.
- Demonstrable marketing experience and client development and retention skills are required.
- OSHA HAZWOPER 40 certification required or ability to obtain prior to employment.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required.
- Prior to employment, this position will require the successful completion of a pre-employment physical and/or drug & alcohol screening.
- A bachelor's degree in environmental planning, environmental science, engineering or a related field. A master's degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years (15 years preferred) of progressively responsible and applicable experience with program management and environmental documentation for transportation projects.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top