Principal Environmental Planner
- Westlake Village, CA
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is currently seeking a Principal Environmental Planner in the Environmental Services Practice to be based out of our Thousand Oaks Office. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 12 years of professional environmental experience with an emphasis in the energy sector and proven diversification with community development, environmental infrastructure, and/or mobility sector projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
The primary duties of this role are to:
- Manage and assist with technical delivery of environmental services related projects across a diverse range of market sectors that leads to an expected 60% direct utilization.
- Project management responsibilities include file management, coordination and oversight of safety requirements, subconsultant management, team coordination/meetings, delegation and oversight of technical tasks, assisting in preparation and review of deliverables, client interfacing, project progress monitoring, and invoicing.
- Project management and technical delivery is expected to include due diligence studies, discretionary environmental permitting, California Environmental Quality Act/National Environmental Policy Act documentation, environmental technical studies, similar regulatory compliance services, and representation at stakeholder meetings/public hearings.
- Lead and support marketing and business development activities including opportunity identification, pre-positioning, preparation of proposals, interviews, and contracting that generates $1MM gross revenue or more annually.
- Manage client services including routine correspondence/meetings, opportunity capitalization, negotiation of commercial terms, health and safety metric reporting, feedback solicitation, and advocacy facilitation.
- Project management, technical support, and marketing/business development is expected to have an emphasis in the energy sector, but will also include community development, environmental infrastructure, and mobility sector projects.
- Supervise project/task order managers and technical staff.
- Identify, coordinate participation in, and represent Stantec's interests at conferences/stakeholder events related to technical delivery and marketing/business development responsibilities.
- Interface with other Environmental Services colleagues to identify and enhance regional business development opportunities.
- Interface with representatives of other Stantec Practices to facilitate cross selling of services.
- Promote a strong health and safety culture.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- High level knowledge of the California Environmental Quality Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Federal Land Policy and Management Act, Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, State/Federal Endangered Species Act, National Historic Preservation Act, California Fish and Game Code, and California Coastal Act.
- Excellent analytic and communication skills, both written and verbal. Public speaking skills are desirable.
- An ability to efficiently manage several project/business development tasks simultaneously is essential.
- Microsoft Office proficient.
- OSHA HAZWOPER 40 certification required or ability to obtain prior to employment.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required.
- Ability for periodic travel (<~20%)
- Position requires strict adherence to health and safety procedures, good organization skills, strong verbal communication skills, and a passion for high quality of work.
- Prior to employment, this position will require the successful completion of a pre-employment physical and drug screen.
Education and Experience
A minimum of 12 years of related professional experience. A bachelor's degree in environmental science or a related field. A master's degree is strongly preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Planner
Primary Location: United States-California-Thousand Oaks
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 19000382
Back to top