Principal Engineer - Community Development
Strong communities don't just happen-they're built. They're creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We're driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We're a place where you can apply your passion-and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable. Your Opportunity An opportunity exists in Stantec's Ft Myers/Naples offices for a motivated Principal Engineer who will be responsible for future business development/marketing and growth of our community development business. The purpose of this position is to become a local leader in providing exceptional land development and general civil engineering for public and private projects throughout the Ft Myers/Naples Florida markets.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Serving as the primary contact for our external clients and has overall responsibility for all aspects of, and the success of, all assigned projects. This position offers career development, the opportunity to expand the practice, and has the potential of participation in our leadership recognition program.
- Lead and mentor a multi-discipline team of professional and technical staff
- Lead the marketing and business development efforts for the Community Development team in the office
- Lead the recruiting efforts necessary to build a strong team of professionals and support staff
- Organize and lead project-related meetings and presentations
- Coordinate with client, team members, sub-consultants and prepare proposals
- Perform planning phase activities, including project research and investigations, assessment of project feasibility, and provide input to project team on civil engineering related issues
- Perform and direct all aspects of civil engineering design including layout/geometry, grading, drainage, paving, water, sewer, and erosion control. Projects may include land development (all types/sectors), roadway/intersection design, hydrology/hydraulic stormwater modeling, hydraulic modeling of pipe networks, preparation of construction plans and related design reports
- Prepare complete submission packages, supporting calculations, cost estimates, project schedules, and other duties
- Monitor and control project progress, staffing, budgets, and methods of analysis and objectives and keep client informed of progress, budget, work progress and challenges
- Plan and execute QA/QC plan for individual projects
- The ideal candidate will come with a background of supporting or leading the civil/site engineering aspects for a variety of major projects.
- He/she will have been exposed to the entire project delivery process, including marketing/business development, client interaction and project management.
- The candidate should have a demonstrated ability to lead a multi-disciplined team, organize and manage/support a project, and the professionalism and skill to communicate effectively internally and externally with clients and teaming partners.
- A track record of successful projects and established network of key relationships in the Orlando/Central Florida land development and engineering community
- A strong working knowledge of civil engineering design including stormwater, utilities, paving, geometric roadway design, grading and earthwork
- Demonstrated project management and business development experience to nurture existing clients and develop new multi-disciplined opportunities to expand the practice in the geography including developing, recommending and introducing innovation to our clients' projects - Complete understanding of all phases of contract administration and execution, including scope definition, contract terms/conditions, negotiation, financial project management and complete contract performance (schedule and financial)
- A strong background in both private and public sector clients including commercial, residential, and mixed use developers as well as local governmental clients with the ability to coordinate the entire project effort, client interaction and project management
- Demonstrated ability to lead, communicate, and build trust, rapport and effective working relationships, both internally within a multidisciplinary team and externally, including public involvement / engagements and making presentations to regulatory boards
- An affinity for community involvement and visible local engagement is preferred to help promote the company's services and presence in the geography
- Ability to travel, as required Stantec is an equal opportunity employer.
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Education and Experience Minimum of fifteen (15) years' experience in relevant site civil or land development engineering
Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited university
A Florida Professional Engineer (P.E.) license is required or must be able to obtain within first 6 months of employment
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top