Plumbing/Fire Protection Department Head
- New York, NY
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
As a Senior Plumbing and Fire Protection Engineer, you will work as Chief to the Plumbing & Fire Protection Department with direct supervision over several individuals. You will provide technical expertise and guidance on a range of projects, perform Quality Control/Quality Assurance, standardize the resources used by the department, and mentor fellow engineers. In addition, you will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification for engineered systems or products for a project verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards / practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage workload of Plumbing/Fire protection Engineers and Technicians
- Take responsibility for engineering solutions of prepared designs & Technical Specifications
- Monitor and control progress and prepare weekly performance report of the group. Ensure all assigned team members complete projects on time, budget and expected quality.
- Address and correct deficiencies within the group, level utilization of staff and coach younger engineers
- Performing Quality Control for Plumbing Fire Protection team
- Be a technical resource for the Plumbing/Fire Protection department
- Organize and write detailed feasibility reports
- Attend and represent us in meetings and communicate with clients
- Keep staff informed of important and relevant service/design decisions and ensure objectives of the client are achieved
- Continually ensure practices, policies, strategy and services meet industry and our corporate standards
- Keep up with current legislations and the relevant building codes such as NYC Plumbing Code, NYCECC, Fire Code, NFPA-13. Strong working knowledge of local, national, and standards pertaining to Plumbing and Fire Protection is required
- Working knowledge of requirement and filing procedures with utilities (Con Ed, National Grid, PSEG), NYCDEP and NYCDEC
- Ability to independently design Plumbing/Fire Protection systems from concept to final construction documents
- Perform system design calculations
- Select equipment for use in building systems
- Act as a Project Manager when needed
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- PE license
- In-depth knowledge of NYC Plumbing Code, NYCECC, Fire Code, NFPA-13.
- Extensive Project Management (PM) experience and knowledge of all PM protocols.
- Autocad2019/Revit 2018 proficient
- Experience leading a team of at least 5 entry to mid-level engineers. Success in developing and promoting engineers is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience as the go-to technical expert, managing and resolving complex technical issues, as it relates to Plumbing and Fire Protection engineering
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or related field & Licensed Professional Engineer (preferred, not required). Minimum of 15 years of experience in Plumbing/Fire Protection design experience in NYC.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Fire Protection Engineer
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 2000019W
Back to top