Pipeline Integrity Engineer (Reliability)
- Houston, TX
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there's no end to the scope and significance of your work - and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we're problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross- country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you'll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that's critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing - and we're helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that's working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world.
We are currently looking for a Integrity Engineer to work with our Oil & Gas group in Houston Texas. You will work with close guidance and supervision to execute tasks and support Lead Engineers and Project Managers working on related tasks and projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform and report on integrity reliability analysis using standard tools and techniques to support department goals and job accountabilities (e.g. periodical system-wide probability of failure analysis) and stakeholders' requests.
- Support continuous improvement Integrity Reliability plan for analysis tools, processes, and methodologies.
- Perform reliability analysis for assets using existing tools (e.g. Python, MatLab, @Risk). This includes hands-on application of existing reliability models (e.g. Monte Carlo simulations, Bayesian Network, Fault Tree, Decision Tree) for integrity and non-integrity threats.
- Conduct more detailed investigations for lines/segments/features do not meet integrity reliability targets following existing processes.
- Address stakeholders' requests including problem definition, data collection, application of standard assessment techniques, and communication of results. Support more senior team members for complex requests that exceed standard processes.
- Participate in the documentation and effective communication of methodology, results, limitations, etc. to internal and external stakeholders for standard assessments.
- Support continuous improvement of different assessment tools and techniques through:
- Researching relevant literature;
- Collecting relevant data for feasibility analysis and system-wide analysis; propose improvement ideas for better data accuracy and data quality;
- Assisting with the automation and improvement of existing models.
- Support the development and maintenance of processes, procedures, and work instructions.
- Support the generation of industry publications and technical reports.
- Respond to ad-hoc requests from Integrity Reliability team members to support department objectives.
- This position's responsibilities include:
- Safety: assess the reliability of pipeline systems. Results of this analysis will be used to identify areas of potential concern and to support safety decisions which require highly accurate assessment and attention to detail.
- Stakeholders: interact with several internal stakeholders. This requires frequent professional communication and relationship building.
- The position's decision-making authority is limited, and majority of recommendations will be reviewed by a more senior team member to ensure soundness of judgement.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient with MS Office Suite
- Some knowledge of statistical tools (e.g. @RISK or MATLAB) and large databases (e.g. PowerPivot or Power Query, Power PI).
- Critical thinking skills related both to technical engineering/reliability analysis and project management.
- Ability to communicate effectively and build relationships with stakeholders. This includes the ability to effectively interact with peers and stakeholders in both formal and informal settings.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively deliver self-directed tasks and stakeholder requests.
- Ability to meet deadlines and deliver thorough technical analysis and recommendations.
- Required to manage tight timelines with limited information in some instances.
- Strong safety and integrity values.
- Must have a good driving record and valid Driver's License.
- Prior to employment with Stantec, this position will require the successful passing of a drug & alcohol screen.
- Relevant experience with risk assessment, reliability, or statistical/probabilistic analysis.
- Experience with pipeline integrity reliability software (e.g. PIRAMID or ReliaSoft).
- Post-graduate degree in a relevant field.
- Baseline understanding of scripting languages (e.g. Python, VBA, C#).
- Baseline understanding of finite element analysis or computational fluid dynamics software (such as Abaqus or ANSYS).
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in civil/mechanical/industrial engineering (or equivalent).
- A minimum of 7 years of engineering experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Advanced data analytics;
- Pipeline integrity related projects and programs;
- Reliability analysis including statistical analysis, results interpretation, system modelling, etc.; and/or
- Research-related projects requiring review of industry literature, interpretation of a variety data types, and generation of conclusions and recommendations based on findings.
Typical office environment working with computers at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 200000FF
Back to top