Pipeline HDD Inspector (Horizontal Directional Drill)
- Edmonton, Canada
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
The HDD Inspector is assigned to monitor horizontal directional drilling and pull through activities of trenchless crossings to assure conformance with the applicable drawings, procedures, and specifications. Monitoring access, setup, drilling, mud management, and pull through; the HDD Inspector mitigates the risks associated with sub- standard HDD practices. Acting as the primary liaison between the HDD Contractor and PMC for HDD related issues, the HDD Inspector will support the HDD Contractor to ensure that the technical requirements of the project are understood and achieved.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Review crossing plus boring specifications and procedures for the project
- Review and understand project reporting requirements for horizontal direction drilling operations and complete daily inspection reports
- Verify that crossing agreements are on site and notifications have been filed with the appropriate entities
- Verify that foreign utilities are identified prior to crossing or excavating activities
- Verify that drilling fluids are contained and managed in accordance with the EPP
- Verify that contingency plans associated with a loss of drilling fluid are in place and well understood
- Verify the measurements of drill mud density and mud volumes
- Verify location of pilot hole in accordance with IFC drawings
- Verify the succession of reams as specified in project plans and/or specifications
- Monitor pull through activities including final holiday testing and the application of any sacrificial coating, verify integrity of coating after pull through
- Ensure that pipe is suitably supported during pull through activities
- Provide input to post construction evaluation and lessons learned documents
- Coordinate progress data collection
- Interface with and provide necessary assistance to the group preparing the final as-built drawings and documentation
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Thorough knowledge of construction principles, techniques and procedures, occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with contractor, project team and clients, including ability to resolve conflict situations.
- Takes initiative on tasks and in coordinating with other members of the project team, obtaining and sharing necessary information.
- Strong organizational skills and understanding of task assignment and schedule.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Working knowledge of critical path method scheduling.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite.
Education and Experience
- 10 Years industrial and/or pipeline construction experience in a Horizontal Directional Drill (Trenchless) Inspector role.
- API 1169 Pipeline Construction Inspector Certification.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Construction Management/Coordination
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 100 % of the Time
Req ID: 190001V4
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Back to top