Pipeline Blasting Inspector (Independent Contractor)
- Edmonton, Canada
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Acting as the Owner's representative with the GCC/EPC contractor, the Pipeline Blasting Inspector will monitor the GCC/EPC construction activities to ensure that the technical requirements of the project are achieved. The Pipeline Inspector - Blasting is responsible for the Inspection, Measurement and Monitoring (IMM) of GCC/EPC pipeline construction activities to assure conformance with the applicable drawings, specifications, conditions, commitments, work plans and procedures. The Pipeline Blasting Inspector is responsible for monitoring in-process blasting, performing inspections of blasting equipment, storage, handing, and review of blasting plans. The Pipeline Inspection - Blasting is responsible to provide quality assurance in accordance with the GCC/EPC Inspection and Test Plan and the Owner's Quality Management Plan in the performance of the work. The position will provide daily reports of construction activities, progress and issues. The position requires awareness, understanding and enforcement of the Owner's Safety, Security, and Environmental requirements.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Review construction drawings, specifications, conditions, commitments, work plans and procedures
- Participate in GCC/EPC Daily Safety Tailgate meetings including daily job hazard assessments
- Complete daily report on construction activities, progress, and issues
- Verification of daily GCC/EPC daily LEMS for respective crews
- Review blasting specifications and procedures and monitor test blasting to verify procedures
- Review and understand project reporting requirements for blasting operations and complete daily reports
- Verify that the transportation, storage, and handling of explosives is in accordance with TMEP requirements, and those set forth by the applicable regulatory body and/or explosive manufacturer
- Ensure all personnel are removed from blast site prior to any blasting activities, ensure adequate signage is posted to prevent third parties from entering the blast zone
- Ensure all required permits are in place and that blasting preparation, execution, and clean up complies with permit requirements
- Monitor blasting activities to ensure the highest regard for the safety of the workers, the environment, and the public is maintained at all times
- Verify the notification provided to the public and governing authorities is provided
- Verify the ditch depth and width meet the Owner's specifications and ensure that grade and ditch rock adequately surveyed and quantified
- Verify the correct blasting practices are applied near fish bearing watercourses
- Verify that noise mitigation equipment is used as required for sensitive environmental areas
- Provide input to post construction evaluation and lessons learned documents
Capabilities and Credentials
- Provincial approved Blasting certificate
- 10 years experience in pipeline inspection or experience in blasting or related field
- API 1169 Pipeline Construction Inspector Certification - Not required when on pumping stations or terminals
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Construction Management/Coordination
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 100 % of the Time
Req ID: 200000Z4
Back to top