Payroll Manager (Canada)
Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that accomplishes operational excellence. Bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds, talents, and expertise, our 22,000 team members in over 400 locations worldwide are vital to making our Company stronger.
Your Opportunity We have an exciting opportunity for a Payroll Manager (Canada), based in our Edmonton, AB office. The Payroll Manger (Canada) is a member of our Canadian Finance Services team and will report directly to the Director of Payroll for Canada.
This position will be responsible for the operations of the Canadian payroll department while demonstrating leadership in the commitment to service excellence. Ensuring complete compliance of all legislative requirements and ensures the accuracy of all payroll calculations and the timelines are adhered to on a weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or annual basis.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage the completion of the daily duties of the payroll team along with the completion of the bi-weekly payroll, including accounting, journal entries and reconciliations. Ensure accurate account balances and compliance with all company policies.
- Ensure compliance to all employment legislation and regulatory guidelines such as EHT, CPP, EI, Income Tax, pension & benefit contributions, etc.
- Supervise the completion of payroll related documents and reports bi-weekly controls.
- Provide management reporting on key statistics generated from the payroll data.
- Analyze, summarize, and implement process changes; work with the key stakeholders to ensure the provision of information technologies and other infrastructure department needs are met.
- Establish appropriate controls to ensure compliance with payroll processes, company policy, and legislative requirements including developing payroll guidelines and processes, ensuring accurate and efficient administration of programs.
- Guide and coach a team of payroll administrators and payroll analysts by anticipating resources needs, identifying opportunities for efficiency, improvement, and accuracy as well as inspiring teamwork, superb customer service and sustainable change.
- Manage the year-end reconciliation processes including:
- Government reporting
- Preparation of annual returns
- Production and distribution of tax forms
- Liaise with internal and external auditors while providing direction and guidance to the payroll staff in collecting, validating and troubleshooting inquiries from the various WCB Boards, CRA, Revenue Quebec, and the Ontario Ministry of Finance, etc.
- Liaise with internal business partners and with external agencies; develop and maintain methods of communicating payroll information to team members.
- Ensure that all payroll information, files, and records are maintained in accordance with corporate policies and local statutes.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Extensive working knowledge of payroll and financial information systems; experience in Oracle products, HRMS, Payroll and Time and Labor is preferred but not mandatory
- Ability to analyze data and provide recommended solutions.
- Highly proficient with MS Office products including Advanced Excel and Word.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coach, mentor, team building, and support staff.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, public relations, organizational, multitasking, work prioritization, research and problem-solving skills with minimal supervision.
- Thorough working knowledge of payroll and accounting processes, and legislative regulatory frameworks. e.g. Statutory holiday pay, payroll deductions, pensions, Revenue Canada, and Service Canada, to name a few.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and judgement when handling confidential, sensitive, and/or controversial information.
- Demonstrated thorough written communication with the ability to verbally communicate information and ideas in a manner that can be understood by others.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and/or peak period workloads that will extend beyond the normal workday.
- Occasional weekend work will be required.
- Bilingual is an asset.
Education and Experience
- CPM designation with the Canadian Payroll Association.
- Accounting / Finance background an asset.
- Minimum 10 years recent experience with a integrated payroll system.
- Minimum 3 years supervisory or managerial experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top