Mid-Level NEPA Transportation Planner
Your Opportunity: The Stantec community unites approximately 22,000 employees working in over 400 locations across six continents. We collaborate across disciplines and industries to bring buildings, energy and resource, environmental, and infrastructure projects to life. Our work-engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics, from initial project concept and planning through design, construction, and commissioning-begins at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships.
Whatever the distance, wherever the destination-our designs lead you there. Our Transportation group provides comprehensive planning, design, and engineering services for all phases of airport, bridge, rail, roadway, and transit projects. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Stantec's Nashville office is looking for a Mid-Level Transportation Planner with at least five years of experience preparing environmental documents pursuant to the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
Your Duties: The primary duty of this role is to manage multiple transportation planning projects for a wide range of government and nongovernment transportation clients. Duties also include, but are not limited to:
- Guide the NEPA planning process and oversee all aspects of a project, including client contact, budget control and invoicing, schedule, personnel allocation/planning, and technical approach
- Coordinate with clients, regulatory/resource agencies, local governments
- Manage technical studies and ecological resource assessments such as traffic analyses, air & noise analyses, socio-economic analyses, wetland delineations, habitat assessments, and other natural resource surveys
- Perform research, conduct environmental analyses (field and desktop), develop recommendations, and prepare technical reports under NEPA
- Prepare NEPA documentation including environmental impact statements (EISs), Environmental Assessments (EAs), Categorical Exclusions (CEs)
- Provide quality assurance and quality control for all final products to ensure technical accurateness and regulatory compliance
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- B.S. in planning and/or related engineering or environmental discipline; a master's degree is desirable
- Five or more years of experience performing analysis, consulting, and providing recommendations for various types of clients
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification and/or P.E. desired
- Thorough understanding of technical environmental impact analysis methods and sound knowledge of NEPA requirements and related environmental regulations
- Team oriented with strong capability to motivate others
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with experience presenting at public workshops and facilitating meetings with regulatory/resource agencies
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple transportation planning projects and ability to motivate self and others to overcome obstacles and achieve goals
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and to prioritize and balance sometimes heavy workloads to achieve goals while keeping up with a highly mobile and changing environment
- Must demonstrate an ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Team player with demonstrated ability to work well with others, to keep other team members aware of project and client needs
- Must have the ability to work in the field if necessary for long hours in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to travel as needed for project assignments
- Must have a good driving record and valid driver's license
- Additional qualifications that will assist the candidate in succeeding in the role are
- Experience working with state/local transportation departments in Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia
- GIS and/or CADD capabilities
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top