2,500 Environmental Services staff. 20 technical specialties. 900 professional associations. An international team with local expertise. You could say we know a little something about the environment. Our passion for it drives our work. Grounded by safety, quality, and ethics, we come up with solutions that perfectly fit the site. We know what it takes to balance competing project interests with creativity and efficiency. We know what to look for. And, we know how to get the job done-the right way. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is seeking a mid-level Biologist to join our Environmental Sciences team in our Bakersfield, CA office.
- Candidates are expected to be able to be self-motivated and take initiative to organize, execute and coordinate project assignments within assigned budget and timeline.
- Candidates are required to be able to prepare high quality Biological Resources Technical Reports and environmental documents.
- Conduct project coordination, assist with project management duties, and preparing scopes and budgets for proposals.
- Prepare and/or review permit applications relative to jurisdictional waters, including: US Army Corps of Engineers Section 404 permit, Regional Water Quality Control Board Section 401 Water Quality Certification, California Department of Fish and Wildlife Section1600 Streambed Permit, CDFG 2081 Incidental Take Permit, USFWS section 10 and 7 consultation
- Consult with clients and agencies on overall permitting and environmental compliance strategies.
- Conduct habitat (vegetation) assessment & mapping using CDFW approved Vegetation Classification and Mapping Protocols.
- Lead special status plant and wildlife surveys.
- Conduct fieldwork necessary to complete biological and other environmental assessment and compliance documentation.
- Mentor junior staff learning the permitting process and field techniques.
- Work with environmental planning managers to gather and prepare sections for planning documents such as environmental impact reports, initial studies, and mitigated negative declarations.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Bachelor of Science degree required in a related discipline from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in California environmental industry (dealing with California biological resources issues) is a must. The experience requirement can be met by a combination of private consulting industry experience and related experience gained via employment at public agencies or similar organizations.
- Extensive knowledge of the biota in the western intermountain and desert region of the US, with knowledge and experience of state and federal wildlife protection regulations and guidelines for species of concern, state and federal listed species, and candidate species.
- Candidates should have a solid background in wildlife, taxonomy, and/or botany, and be familiar and proficient with current survey protocols and field project logistics.
- Experience with NEPA/CEQA.
- Knowledge and experience with Clean Water Act, state and federal Endangered Species Act and Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
- Experience developing and acquiring permits with USFWS, USACE, BLM and state agencies.
- Experience with Restoration, habitat management and mitigation monitoring.
- Ability to lead Wetland Delineations & Jurisdictional Determinations.
- Experienced in reviewing plans and specifications for compliance with approved land use and resource agency permits.
- Ability to plan and lead field biological surveys necessary to complete biological and other environmental assessment and compliance documentation.
- Willingness to work long hours in the field periodically.
- Possession of permits to survey for listed species, bats and other California special status species is beneficial.
- Flexibility in work assignments - location and type of assignments will vary.
- OSHA Hazwoper 40 certification required or ability to obtain prior to employment.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required.
- Prior to employment, this position will require the successful completion of a pre-employment physical and drug screen.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top