Mechanical Studio Director
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
The Mechanical Studio Director brings deep Mechanical Engineering experience and relationships in the A/E industry to contribute to the overall strategic and tactical leadership of the Stantec BC 2048 Mechanical Engineering discipline, building and leading the Mechanical Engineering practice in the Portland, OR. This position will lead strategic project, be client facing, responsible for business development, contribute to project delivery standards and work processes, provide quality control, workload forecasting, financial performance accountability and collaboration with other disciplines. The Studio Director contributes to differentiating Stantec from other competing firms and positions Stantec as innovators in the industry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Business Development/Marketing - approximately 20% of time
- Be the primary contributor to building Stantec's Mechanical Engineering practice in Portland, Oregon.
- Develop strategic and tactical business development and marketing plans for the Mechanical Engineering practice and align with Business Center and regional Buildings group goals and strategies and brand position priorities.
- Sustain and grow top line revenue helping to achieve growth objectives in the Pacific Northwest and work collaboratively with the Regional Business Leader, Business Center Managing Leader and other Mechanical Engineering leads in US West to achieve key operational performance metrics.
- Develop and maintain industry relationships and visibility with current and prospective clients, sub-consultants, and partner firms in the local and regional A/E industry.
- Assist with the development of the annual business plan and budget for the business center and working with the leadership team to achieve key performance indicators.
- Develop presentation materials and present to clients and at strategic industry events.
- Represent the firm through published articles, public speaking engagements and attendance at industry and community events, meetings, and conferences.
- Develop project proposals.
- Assist the marketing department with the development of mechanical engineering marketing materials and content.
People and Practice Management - approximately 20% of time
- Hire and lead a team consisting of HVAC and Plumbing project managers, designers, and CAD/Revit production staff.
- In collaboration with BC leadership and principals, develop annual budgets for sales, topline revenue, training, utilization and project performance for the BC 2048 Mechanical Engineering group.
- In conjunction with other stakeholders, identify and forecast staff needs and assignments based on current and projected workload and SME requirements.
- Hold project team members accountable for delivery standards and best practices.
- Responsible for managing the financial performance, quality control processes, and project delivery for Mechanical Engineering projects.
- Ensure compliance with best practices, including Stantec PM Frameworks
Project Involvement - approximately 50% of time
- Work with PM's and SME's on key projects to develop and deliver client drawings, specifications, presentations, reports, and other deliverables
- Successfully manage projects of significant scope, complexity and revenue budget.
- Apply buildings engineering and project management knowledge while leading cross-functional resources to meet project requirements within established timeframes and budgets.
- Meet technical, contractual, schedule, budgetary and client service objectives for projects.
- Apply strong engineering skills, experience and knowledge to the design and oversight of the design for building projects.
- Manage and plan the production resources and workflow to produce the design documentation, drawings, and calculations required for engineering projects.
- Act as a QC reviewer on Mechanical Engineering projects
Technical Leadership - approximately 5% of time
- Maintain awareness of operational, technical or regulatory changes within Mechanical Engineering and AEC overall, disseminate such knowledge to staff and firm, and integrate into existing processes and standards.
- Maintain and update Mechanical Engineering specifications, technical documentation and standards in collaboration with other Sr. Mechanical technical resources in Stantec.
- Oversee mechanical Engineering Design delivery process and best practices and coordinate with other disciplines.
- Provide oversight for Mechanical Engineering staff's education and certification process & balance firm, studio and staff needs.
Learning/Maintaining and Expanding Technical and Managerial Skills - approximately 5% of time
- Maintain current knowledge of technologies and trends impacting Stantec's core service offerings and markets and continually strengthens skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Outstanding client service skills with ability to lead practice members in consistently delivering an exceptional standard of service to every client.
- Strong managerial skills; with ability to hire, engage, develop, and retain top-tier talent.
- Strong business acumen with ability to identify, develop and map strategy, prepare, interpret and manage budgets, and analyze business results.
- Business development skills with ability to identify and develop prospects, nurture key relationships, cross-sell services, negotiate, and engage business.
- Comprehensive understanding of building project components, project management and delivery systems; ability to continuously evaluate and refine processes to increase efficiency and client satisfaction.
- Ability to manage clients, projects, fee, scope and teams to achieve budget, schedule and deliverable objectives while meeting key stakeholder critical success factors.
- Familiarity with, and ability to produce, project-related documents and documentation standards required of a Project Manager.
- Ability to integrate design elements with other disciplines to deliver a coordinated design.
- Strong knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- A commanding knowledge of technical issues supporting delivered design services.
- Deep technical understanding and working knowledge of buildings systems, including HVAC and Plumbing.
- Strong knowledge of healthcare, higher education, military and/or life science communities including architects, engineers, contractors, and facilities, both stakeholders and key decision-makers.
- Deep understanding of and ability to apply sustainable design principles within projects.
- Outstanding consulting skills; with ability to present a credible, engaging image in keeping with Stantec's high service standards.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and polished presentation and public speaking skills.
Experience, Education, and Certification:
- Bachelors' degree in Mechanical Engineering plus 10 years related professional experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience and/or demonstrated skills.
- Experience successfully delivering Mechanical Engineering consulting to Architects and Owners in diverse markets including healthcare, commercial, data center, higher education, life sciences, civic and government.
- PE license required
- LEED professional certification required.
- Training and professional experience in project management.
- Client consulting experience in a consulting engineering environment.
- Proven track record of hiring, developing, managing, and retaining top talent.
Qualifications listed below, while not necessarily a requirement for this position in each circumstance, provide additional depth and value to the role.
- LEED certification.
- 5 years of healthcare design experience.
- Successful history of collaboration and teaming with contractors on Design-Build projects.
Office Location and Schedule:
- This position is located in Stantec's Portland, Oregon office. It requires a frequent presence in other offices, at project sites, and at meetings.
- Frequent travel is required. Travel scope may include local, regional, national or international based on the contracted requirements. To meet this requirement, a valid driver's license and a clean driving record is necessary for this position.
- This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to use hands and fingers and reach with hands and arms. The staff member frequently is required to sit, talk and hear. The staff member is frequently required to visit and navigate existing facilities and construction sites, which often requires the ability to walk and climb. The staff member must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The staff member must occasionally operate a motor vehicle.
The preceding job description is not intended to describe in detail the multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to provide a general overview of the expectations and responsibilities of this position. As the nature of business demands change, so may the functions of this position. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
Job: Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Oregon-Portland
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190000OW
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top