Mechanical Engineer, WaterPower & Dams
Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. When it comes to hydropower, dams, locks and navigation projects, we design with the next generation in mind. We operate with the strength of a $3B company paired with the agility of a specialized waterpower and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world's most impactful waterpower and dam projects-projects vital to both local and global communities. Your Opportunity As a Mechanical Engineer your role is to work with direct supervision and general direction on tasks and smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a Senior Engineer/Designer. You will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification for engineered systems or products for a project verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices. Your Key Responsibilities
- Supports project team in development of design documentation, plans and reports for relevant project design elements.
- Assists in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various project phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details.
- Coordinates with other disciplines (architectural, structural, electrical, civil, etc.) to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Assists in the review of shop drawings and submittals, responds to requests for information, prepares site observation reports, and performs other contract administration tasks.
- Assists with the development of job specific discipline specifications.
- Assists in the evaluation and selection of mechanical systems and materials.
- Attends project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants.
- Participates in value engineering and basic cost estimating
- Implements sustainable design principles into the design and surrounding environment.
- Performs calculations using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Basic knowledge of the mechanical and standards.
- Basic knowledge of mechanical systems, means, methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Basic understanding of all phases of engineering document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions.
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Understanding of mechanical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite and AutoCAD.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top