As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there's no end to the scope and significance of your work - and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we're problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you'll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that's critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing - and we're helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that's working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world. Your Opportunity As a Mechanical Engineer your role is to work with moderate supervision and direction on average sized projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a senior engineer/designer. You will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification for engineered systems or products for a project verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices. Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for small to mid-sized projects of average complexity/size.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies and engineers all mechanical engineered systems or products for a project and assuring work is reviewed for overall technical accuracy
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings and value analysis and basic cost estimating.
- Assists with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications and other related documents.
- Performs and oversees the performance of calculations using company standard software, and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the mechanical group.
- Participates in design/model reviews, constructability review etc.
- Work as a contributing team member within a multi-discipline team.
- Understand and execute and/or direct work within Stantec's quality control guidelines.
- Comply with Stantec's EH&S program, with a focus on safety in the field.
- Manage and execute mechanical/piping engineering deliverables on multiple projects in a dynamic work environment.
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships.
- Define and manage mechanical scope requirements including man-hour estimates, schedules, DBM development.
- Support the development of construction contracts and the tender/analysis/award process.
- Lead and provide stamping ownership of mechanical documents and drawings as required.
- Prepare and/or review/approve mechanical equipment specifications, datasheets and procurement support documents.
- Execute technical bid evaluations (TBE's) for equipment.
- Perform and/or review/approve engineering calculations.
- Participate in client/vendor/contractor meetings potentially including HAZOP, 3D model reviews and design reviews.
- Ensure appropriate reference material is utilized at all times.
- Ensure all work is completed with safety of paramount concern.
- Develop and/or review/approve mechanical drawings (isometrics, orthos, and occasionally P&ID's).
- Develop and/or review/approve Construction Work Packages (CWP's).
- Develop and/or review/approve tie-in lists and line lists.
- Develop and/or oversee the development of construction contracts and the tender/analysis/award process.
- Complete required mechanical calculations for equipment sizing, material selection, etc.
- Strong Understanding of industry standards and applicable ASME, CSA, API, ANSI, NACE codes and standards. Strong knowledge and application of the mechanical codes and standards.
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Strong consulting skills including ability to provide project status and results to clients through frequent contact and follow-up.
- Thorough understanding of mechanical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- Engineering experience supporting projects from conception through construction.
- Field experience is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with industry standards and applicable ASME, CSA, API, ANSI, NACE codes and standards.
- Proven mentoring skills and desire to work with and encourage junior staff.
- Ability to review and approve work.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and a proven ability to write clear, thorough technical reports.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple jobs/projects.
- Proven problem solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to perform in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Detailed understanding of project deliverables such as Process Flow Diagram, P&ID, Isometrics, General Arrangements, etc.
- Detailed understanding of various equipment used in oil & gas such as vessels, tanks, heat exchangers & coolers, heaters, rotating equipment (pumps and compressors), packaged equipment, valves & specialty items.
- Understanding of material selection to support design of process piping and equipment.
- Knowledge of fabrication and construction techniques and processes.
- Willingness to go the 'extra mile' to support projects, clients and fellow employees.
- Knowledge of and ability to use standard computer applications including, but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and AutoCAD.
Licensed Professional Engineer
Minimum of 5-6 years of work related experience Previous experience in a consulting environment is an asset
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top