Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
As a Mechanical Designer you will work with close guidance and supervision on tasks and smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a senior engineer/designer. You will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification of engineered systems or products for a project. You will assist in verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Fluid system design, including Process Flow/Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams and associated calculation development
- Development of equipment sizing and specifications.
- Development of plant layout, piping and equipment arrangements.
- Development of Conceptual and Detailed Designs, Feasibility Studies and Front End Engineering Studies.
- Coordination and review of project vendor drawings.
- Work independently in the field to determine as-built conditions and design new project work in a plant retrofit environment
- Perform work which involves conventional types of plans, investigations, surveys, structures, or equipment with some complex features for which there may or may not be precedents.
- Collaborates on unusual technical or complex problems and receives supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects.
- Performs assignments designed to develop project work, requiring application of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related engineering tasks.
- Leads projects independently or with minor assistance and advice from discipline manager.
- Spending up to 10% of your time in power plants or industrial facilities working in the field.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Possess a working knowledge of Industry standards and Mechanical Engineering design principles
- Experience with power plant systems including simple cycle, combined cycle, coal and biomass
- Working knowledge of:
- Ability to develop P&ID drawings
- Ability to develop Equipment Specifications
- Ability to provide input and perform, review of general arrangements, isometrics and orthographic drawings
- Ability to prepare and update various mechanical schedules
- Ability to prepare heat and water balances
- Ability to work closely with designers to develop construction documents
- Ability to work within an interdisciplinary project team
- Ability to utilize CAD software, AutoCad or similar software is a plus
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in detailed power plant or industrial engineering and design.
Co-op/Internship experience preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Mechanical Designer
Primary Location: United States-Maine-Scarborough
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Req ID: 180001I7
Back to top