The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
As a Mechanical Engineer you will work with general supervision and direction on average sized projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a Senior Engineer. You will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification for engineered systems or products for a project verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards / practices. Stantec currently has buildings engineering teams serving Western Pennsylvania and we are looking to expand our staff to our Cleveland, Ohio office. If you are interested in working on sustainable, integrated building solutions, then joining Stantec could be your most rewarding move.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for projects of average complexity/size.
- Work with support staff and effectively delegate work as required.
- Multi-disciplinary coordination with project team, coordination of mechanical design with architecture, interior design, structural and electrical systems.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all mechanical engineered systems or products for a project and assuring work is reviewed for overall technical accuracy.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various mechanical phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings and value analysis and basic cost estimating.
- Assists upper level staff with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Performs and oversees the performance of calculations using company standard software, and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Utilizes advanced techniques for the analysis of specialized building mechanical elements.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the mechanical group.
- Works on multiple projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of the mechanical and/or plumbing codes, energy codes, ASHRAE standards, and other building codes.
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Experience in consulting engineering environment is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of mechanical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others. Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD; Prefer experience with Newforma, Trane Trace & eQuest
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering & Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum of 5-6 years of experience. LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Ohio-Cleveland
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 180001XI
Back to top