At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or national level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
We are seeking candidates experienced in public water/wastewater utility and/or public energy utility sectors that are ready to join the leadership team of our management consulting group. The successful candidate will be responsible for identifying, securing, and delivering utility rate studies and other financial management consulting services to communities in California and other western states that address complex business, strategic, and funding issues.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Drive development and lead implementation of marketing, business development, and resource strategies for California and other western states.
- Support business development staff in responding to client requests, RFQs, and RFPs, and identifying and prioritizing new leads consistent with market strategy
- Serve as the leading member of western region delivery teams to oversee the performance of tasks such as developing models to support client business challenges, leading a module of a client engagement, or facilitating workshops
- Support project tasks with a focus on rigorous problem solving, consistent quality delivery, client satisfaction and relationship management, individual and team learning, and growth
- Deliver utility cost-of-service studies, for interacting with our clients to identify and analyze issues impacting their organizations, proposing business requirements and functional change to enable high performance, applying technology and/or resources to solve problems and improve business performance, and providing innovative solutions to realize greater performance, reliability, efficiency, and operational speed within the business support and financial functions of our client
- Meet performance goals and objectives as assigned, with respect to client-specific achievements, delivery milestones, billable time, training activities, and business advancement
- Successful delivery record on client projects with above-average client satisfaction from internal and external stakeholders
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Working knowledge of local government organizational structure, accounting / financial reporting, and types of services they provide is preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Word and Excel required, including quantitative modeling and analysis
- Proficiency with PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat Pro and other business systems preferred. GIS experience is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Capable of efficiently working independently as well as with a geographically dispersed team through remote means as needed.
- Willing to travel as needed. Travel is expected to be around 30%.
- Intellectual curiosity: Top performers are driven to ask why things work or don't work currently and how we might address this-even if, or especially if, this thinking falls outside of conventional wisdom. We need bold thinkers willing to challenge assumptions and develop new solutions to emerging issues/trends.
- Analytical problem solvers: Top performers understand (or are capable of quickly learning) how different factors, variables, and policies result in corresponding financial impacts. They understand how to make appropriate simplifying assumptions and how to model complex systems accurately.
- Sincere desire to please our clients: Top performers seem to have an innate drive, beyond personal gain, for ensuring that our clients are pleased with our performance and our deliverables, and they realize that providing rigorous, error-free, and unbiased financial advisory services is a critical step in ensuring the client's long-term financial sustainability. Top performers draw on this deeper motivation, as it takes time and effort to drive change with our clients.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in business, finance, economics, environment, statistics, engineering, accounting, or related fields are required.
- 10 years total post-undergraduate working experience in municipal management consulting, business management, and/or local governments. Experience with communities in central and southern California is preferred.
- Knowledge of utility rate setting practices and legal requirements in California
- Direct work experience/history with local government agencies
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs. Willingness to travel for project work and business development opportunities
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Financial Analysis
Primary Location: United States-California-Pasadena
Other Locations: United States-California-Los Angeles, United States-California-Santa Barbara, United States-California-San Diego, United States-California-Irvine
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 1800021Z
Back to top