The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Stantec's Lighting Design group offers talented professionals the opportunity to transform visions into designs that illuminate some of the most impressive buildings in the world.
As a Lighting Designer you will work under the direct supervision of a Senior Lighting Designer utilizing your technical skills to support projects and produce deliverables that meet and exceed client expectations.
Your ability to approach assignments and areas of responsibility in a proactive, enthusiastic manner will provide the opportunity to incorporate performance feedback with ongoing skill development and training to add value to the project team.
Your Key Responsibilities
Project Involvement - approximately 90-95% of time.
- Supports the project by producing a variety of documents that include but are not limited to:
- Lighting calculations - daylight and electric light
- Energy code compliance
- Presentation materials - renderings and graphic packages
- Fixture schedules
- Hand sketches
- Organize and set up mock-ups
- Develop project cost opinions
- Fixture cut sheet packages
- Under the direction of the Senior Lighting Designer, supports existing client relationships.
- Participates in developing design for projects.
- Provides deliverables that meet quality assurance standards.
Learning/Maintaining and Expanding Technical Skills - approximately 2-5% of time.
- Maintains current knowledge of technologies and trends, as they apply to the applicable project and market types, and continually strengthens skills.
Studio and Firm meetings, initiatives, and projects - up to 5% of time.
- Attends in-house project meetings.
- Actively participates in meetings, initiatives, and projects that support studio and firm-wide goals.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Client-centric, can-do approach to project work, assignments, and identifying solutions.
- Working proficiency in recent versions of AutoCAD.
- Working proficiency in recent versions of Revit.
- Working sketching ability sufficient to convey design concepts.
- Working knowledge of appropriate content for lighting drawings (plans, elevations, sections and details) and specifications.
- Well-developed client communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to research and present working design options.
- Strong prioritization and time-management skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity using InDesign, Photoshop, and AGI32.
- Ability to learn and deftly navigate customized database and software applications.
Education and Experience
Bachelors' degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
0-3 years' experience designing lighting systems and performing lighting calculations for commercial buildings.
Internship related to lighting design required.
Preferred Auxiliary Qualifications:
- IALD and/or IES membership
- LEED accreditation
Regional travel is required on an occasional basis. Out-of-state travel is required on occasion.
This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Lighting Consultant
Primary Location: United States-Washington-Seattle
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900039K
Back to top