The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Your Opportunity Stantec's Lighting Design group offers talented professionals the opportunity to transform visions into designs that illuminate some of the most impressive buildings in the world.
As a Lighting Designer your role is to work under general supervision to apply your technical and project management skills to lead projects and produce deliverables that meet and exceed client expectations. You may also be required to provide immediate supervision or guidance to a unit or group of employees, assigning tasks and checking work for accuracy and completeness.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Direct the project by applying comprehensive understanding of principles to produce a work plan that includes but is not limited to:
- Lighting layouts
- Lighting calculations - daylight and electric light
- Energy code compliance
- Report writing
- Presentation materials - renderings and graphic packages
- Fixture schedules and specifications
- Hand sketches
- Develop project cost opinions
- Reviewing mock-ups
- Nurture existing client relationships and identifies opportunities for new business.
- Lead project design teams and assists in developing the skills of more junior staff members.
- Provide deliverables that meet required codes and quality assurance standards
- Client-centric, can-do approach to project work and assignments.
- Competent knowledge of and proficiency in recent versions of AutoCAD; and Revit.
- Application of sound principles of applicable codes and ability to apply them for typical project types.
- Sketching ability sufficient to convey design concepts.
- Applies sound principles and best practices of appropriate content for lighting drawings (plans, elevations, sections and details) and specifications.
- Well-developed client communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to research and present design options.
- Ability to provide QC review.
- Strong prioritization and time-management skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Thorough knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and AGI32.
- Ability to learn and deftly navigate customized database and software applications.
5-6 years' experience designing lighting systems and performing lighting calculations for commercial buildings.
Preferred Auxiliary Qualifications:
- Certified lighting Designer (CLD)
- IALD, IES membership
- Extended experience in lighting design
- LEED accreditation
Regional and out-of-state travel is required.
This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top